My low D whistle squawks.

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Valentinian
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

My low D whistle squawks.

Post by Valentinian »

Hi. I'm new here and pretty new to whistles. I've been gradually getting into it and learning to play (badly). I've got a soprano recorder as well. Anyway I bought a cane low D whistle. I'm sure this is a common problem. The low D will jump to high D with this awful squawk. I understand it's probably just practice but I'm hoping maybe someone might have suggestions. I don't have any kind of teacher and am learning on my own. I think I understand about diaphragmatic breathing and overblowing. I have no problem overblowing to get the higher notes. It's just that low D.
Valentinian
Walden
Chiffmaster General
antispam: No

Re: My low D whistle squawks.

Post by Walden »

Valentinian wrote:Hi. I'm new here and pretty new to whistles. I've been gradually getting into it and learning to play (badly). I've got a soprano recorder as well. Anyway I bought a cane low D whistle. I'm sure this is a common problem. The low D will jump to high D with this awful squawk. I understand it's probably just practice but I'm hoping maybe someone might have suggestions. I don't have any kind of teacher and am learning on my own. I think I understand about diaphragmatic breathing and overblowing. I have no problem overblowing to get the higher notes. It's just that low D.
Yeah, that's a common problem, not only when starting off on low D, but when, like me, out of practice. However, there's also a possibility that the cane low D may not be very good quality. A tendency to jump octaves has been reported of some of them, before. Some of them are better than others.
Reasonable person
Walden
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

Practice and breath control will circumvene the problem, but it may point to a fault of the whistle.

One quality I appreciate in whistles, high or low, is what happens when you slowly, gradually overblow from first to second D.
That transition in-between the registers can bring anything depending on the particular whistle : a usable complex "hard" D on the very best, a buzz sometimes, a squawk much too often.
CHIFF FIPPLE

Post by CHIFF FIPPLE »

[quote="Zubivka"]Practice and breath control will circumvene the problem, but it may point to a fault of the whistle.

quote]
This is good advice, also make sure you covering the holes compleatly,but at the end of it if you still can't get it right up grade your low D.
ImageStacey has the most bodacious fipples! & Message board
http://whistlenstrings.invisionzone.com ... t=0&p=3303&
antstastegood

Post by antstastegood »

One thing that made a difference for me was proper posture. As illustrated so fancily by Mr. Dale...

http://www.chiffandfipple.com/posture.htm
Unreasonable person,
ants
|___|)____________O___O___O___o__O___O_____|
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

CHIFF FIPPLE wrote: also make sure you covering the holes compleatly,but at the end of it if you still can't get it right up grade your low D.
It happens on the high-end whistles too if, as Stacy says, all the holes aren't completely sealed.
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

CHIFF FIPPLE wrote:
Zubivka wrote:Practice and breath control will circumvene the problem, but it may point to a fault of the whistle.

quote]
This is good advice, also make sure you covering the holes compleatly,but at the end of it if you still can't get it right up grade your low D.
is that avatar of yours what I think it is... :o :lol:
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

40 DD Them're big Low Ds !! :o
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
emmline

Post by emmline »

Amar's special radar.

It can take a different kind of breath control, that comes with practice, to get the low D to come out nicely, (if, in fact, it's not the fault of the whistle.) There's a way of keeping a full volume of air in the whistle without much velocity. practice.
vomitbunny
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by vomitbunny »

Can't say without seeing the whistle. I got a low E whistle that was unplayable pretty much, although the quality varies widely. I got a cane A whistle that is a gem in the same shipment. It might be tweakable, if it's worth the effort. I worked on mine without much luck, but it wouldn't have been worth much if I had been successful. If the quality of cane whistles was as good as the A, everyone would be ordering them. If they were all as bad as the EE, no one would order them.
My opinion is stupid and wrong.
Kuranes

Post by Kuranes »

As everyone else says, it's probably an issue keeping the holes covered.

Upgrading to one of Stacy's big, bouncy Low Ds is recommended if you continue having trouble :)

The odd thing is, I just got a Chieftan Low G the other day, and the holes on the Low G are bigger than the holes on one of Stacy's Low Ds. It's actually harder for me to keep the holes on the Low G covered than it is the Low D.
For when as children we listen and dream, we think but half-formed thoughts; and when as men we try to remember, we are dulled and prosaic with the poison of life.
CHIFF FIPPLE

Post by CHIFF FIPPLE »

amar wrote:
CHIFF FIPPLE wrote:
Zubivka wrote:Practice and breath control will circumvene the problem, but it may point to a fault of the whistle.

quote]
is that avatar of yours what I think it is... :o :lol:
Of course it is Two D whistles :roll: :roll: 8)
ImageStacey has the most bodacious fipples! & Message board
http://whistlenstrings.invisionzone.com ... t=0&p=3303&
Valentinian

Post by Valentinian »

Just wanted to say thanks to everybody for the advice. This seems like a pretty cool place. I think it's mostly just practice like I originally figured. I don't know enough to be able to judge the quality of the whistle to tell you the truth. It sounds nice to me though (cept for the squawking).
Valentinian
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

Well, stacey, I don't own an alba lowD(D), but I do have your combo Q1+ lowC/Bb. yay.
:)
Cyfiawnder

Post by Cyfiawnder »

One quality I appreciate in whistles, high or low, is what happens when you slowly, gradually overblow from first to second D.
That transition in-between the registers can bring anything depending on the particular whistle : a usable complex "hard" D on the very best, a buzz sometimes, a squawk much too often.
In that case you would love mine. When you gradualy blow harder from first D to Second D, the low D gradually gets Sharp, until the point where it switches to 2nd Octave D it just does it smooth and easy, no squawk. Mr. Serpent will be able to comment on that aspect as soon as his arrives in the mail. Right Bill 'ol boy?
Justinus say guiness in hand worth two in ice-box.