Do you vent the high-D every time?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
jhonan
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Do you vent the high-D every time?

Post by jhonan »

Should I be aiming to vent the high-D every time I play it?

For certain combinations of notes, I find it's easier to play xxxxxx instead of oxxxxx, especially if I'm cutting on the D

So, it is better for me just to learn to play oxxxxx when I really have to, or should I learn to play oxxxxx each and every time I play the high-D?

John.

[edit]
Just to add to this, that if I am playing high-D down to low-A (for example), my fingering is;

D oxxxxx
C# oooxxx
B xooxxx
A xxoooo

Any comments?
fearfaoin
antispam: No

Post by fearfaoin »

I certainly don't, especially in fast runs when my left index finger will have to be down immediately before or after the high D. Now, if you're holding a high D, it's probably a good idea to vent, just to make sure you're properly in tune (depending on your whistle).
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

I rarely vent it. Try the tone covered and uncovered and see if it makes a difference that matters. It's different on different whistles. If it's clear enough closed, what the heck?

the 0XX000 usually gets you c nat, not B. Whether you use that or half-hole the top hole depends on what you get used to and how it effects the rhythm. It's tougher to get a crisp distinction between c nat going down to B half-holing. You can make up for it sometimes by tonguing. You can also cheat on the c nat and play a c# if you're going fast. It won't be very noticeable.
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
BrassBlower
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by BrassBlower »

I would say it depends on the whistle. If the breath requirement is low (e.g. Oak), you should probably vent the upper D to prevent overblowing it. If the breath requirement is high (e.g. untweaked Clarke original) you may be better off closing the upper D so you don't end up with something like an out-of-tune lower A.
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
jhonan

Post by jhonan »

TonyHiggins wrote:I rarely vent it. Try the tone covered and uncovered and see if it makes a difference that matters. It's different on different whistles. If it's clear enough closed, what the heck?

the 0XX000 usually gets you c nat, not B.
Tony
It sounds fine as xxxxxx to be honest, and I find it easier that way. I was just trying out oxxxxx to see if I could make high-D cuts sound clearer, and because every single fingering chart I've seen has it as oxxxxx!

I play the B as xooxxx just using the last three holes to hold the whistle, (the note sounds the same as xooooo) - I got that from reading the Brother Steve pages.

fearfaoin: The note sounds in tune either way on my whistle. I just wanted reassurance that I'm not doing something wrong by consigning xxxxxx to muscle memory now, and then having to spend time relearning it later on....
jhonan

Post by jhonan »

BrassBlower wrote:I would say it depends on the whistle. If the breath requirement is low (e.g. Oak), you should probably vent the upper D to prevent overblowing it. If the breath requirement is high (e.g. untweaked Clarke original) you may be better off closing the upper D so you don't end up with something like an out-of-tune lower A.
It's a Waltons brass D, and the only notes I really have to concentrate on keeping in tune (have to watch my breath control on) are the high F# upwards. The others sound fairly clear and in tune whatever way I play them!
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

heh, heh, I just realized "I play the B as xooxxx" is the inverse of 0xx000, which is c nat. I do the same thing. :oops:
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
JamesF

Post by JamesF »

I always do. No wonder Humours of Tulla is a b*tch to play!
On some tunes it's easier to use xxxxxx.
jhonan

Post by jhonan »

JamesF wrote:I always do. No wonder Humours of Tulla is a b*tch to play!
On some tunes it's easier to use xxxxxx.
Well, you can relate to what instigated my original post.... Basically it's 'the blackthorn stick', http://www.thesession.org/tunes/display.php/702

There's a section in part b that goes;

edd gdd

Now, trying to play that with venting the high-D AND cutting the high-D is what's causing my problem. I have no problem playing it using xxxxxx, but venting the D seems almost a physical impossibility on this tune.... :lol:

I've been beating myself around the head with this particular blackthorn stick... :roll:

John.
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

If you think that's bad, try the B-part of Julia Delaney. Only way to do that cleanly (on a C whistle) is to vent the D hole. But that's like stuff you really have to practice, which is a bit awkward when you're busy reading the chiffboard.

*drags up ancient thread

http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php?t=5277

I use one of StevieJ's suggested variations now, btw.
/Bloomfield
jhonan

Post by jhonan »

Bloomfield wrote:But that's like stuff you really have to practice, which is a bit awkward when you're busy reading the chiffboard.
I don't think the boss would be too impressed if I started practising these high-d cuts in the middle of the office either.... :lol:
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

jhonan wrote:... I got that from reading the Brother Steve pages.

fearfaoin: The note sounds in tune either way on my whistle. I just wanted reassurance that I'm not doing something wrong by consigning xxxxxx to muscle memory now, and then having to spend time relearning it later on....
I was going to mention Brother Steve in my earlier post, but I couldn't find my link for it at the time (guess you know of it already, then). I remember when I read his pages the first time, he mentions not having to vent the d in the second octave, so I would say you have permission :)
kevin m.

Post by kevin m. »

Depends upon the tune.
I've read (true or false)that C.C.E. competition invigilators will mark you down if you don't vent,but as I don't expect to be EVER in that situation it doesn't particularly bother me.
This is FOLK music remember? ! :)
"I blame it on those Lead Fipples y'know."
BrassBlower

Post by BrassBlower »

kevin m. wrote: This is FOLK music remember? ! :)
Of course it is! You never hear a cow playing it, do you?
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
dreamerlass

Post by dreamerlass »

My whistle sounds a little better when I vent the high D, so I try to do it most of the time, but on some tunes it's practically impossible. If I'm playing fast the difference isn't noticeable.
We are such stuff as dreams are made on, and our little life is rounded with a sleep.