8000 yr old bone whistles discovered

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Lorenzo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

8000 yr old bone whistles discovered

Post by Lorenzo »

Yesterday, I was reading the Natural History magazine, September 2005. I ran across an article about an 8000 yr old bone end-blown flute. About 25 flutes were unearthed from a grave in China and three of the 7-holed flutes were still playable, one being in pristine condition. These flutes were fashioned from the ulna (one of the hollow wing bones) of the red-crowned crane--which stood about five feet tall. The scale and pitches available was interesting. One of these has 8 holes (octave and 7 pitches), possibly producing more pitches with cross-fingering. Some only had 6 notes (including the octave note) for a pentatonic scale--a scale still in use in China today. One flute had 10 holes--at half step intervals. This is thought to have been used as a tuning guide only. I think this discovery adds something significant to our understanding of the evolution of our modern scale.

Older flutes have been discovered in Europe, according to the article, but none have been found in working order. And of course older bamboo flutes were probably around but never survived. It's pretty amazing that even one of these was in perfect condtion. The article describes the tone.

anniemcu
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Wow! I think I'd heard of this a while back, but never actually got to read any of it. Thanks for sharing that!
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Loren
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Come on Lorenzo, you know better, these aren't whistles :poke:

Loren
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

I suppose you're right. They're all flutes--flute meaning non-transverse, non-fippled whistles such as the quena. Can you play your whistle without the mouthpiece? :lol:
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Lorenzo wrote:I suppose you're right. They're all flutes--flute meaning non-transverse, non-fippled whistles such as the quena. Can you play your whistle without the mouthpiece? :lol:
Just pulled the head off of a Gen Eb and gave it a try. Not ideal in terms of overall tonal strength, but remarkably easier to accomplish than I'd have thought, and surprisingly in tune. I may work on this further as a parlor trick. I think it can probably be done, although I also think that the comparatively thinner walls of the Gen pose more challenges than thicker bone walls would for the task. :thumbsup:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Daniel_Bingamon

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

Ha! Finally something truthful that isn't trying to pretend like the diatonic scale (more recent) was used in ancient times.
Email - YouTube - Ebay - Website $28 Low-D
TheSpoonMan

Post by TheSpoonMan »

Daniel_Bingamon wrote:Ha! Finally something truthful that isn't trying to pretend like the diatonic scale (more recent) was used in ancient times.
Yes, though the first one looks like Bb pentatonic major, and the second like A Dorian. With missing degrees in both cases, but still.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Lorenzo wrote:I suppose you're right. They're all flutes--flute meaning non-transverse, non-fippled whistles such as the quena. Can you play your whistle without the mouthpiece? :lol:
No, no. No need to get technical. They're just tubes with holes in them.

BTW, any of you makers tempted to start working in bone for that 'authentic' traditional sound?
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

Wombat wrote:BTW, any of you makers tempted to start working in bone for that 'authentic' traditional sound?
I wonder just how important the material is vs. density and wall thickness, etc. I listened to a clip of Aaran Malcomb playing his Olwell bamboo flute, and if he hadn't said anything, who would have guessed? I wonder if there are any clips of Ivory flutes.

Looking for clips, I discovered an article about a 35,000 year old ivory flute (carved from a mammoth tusk), found in Germany a couple years ago. There may be sound clips of it, not sure. Apparently, this flute only has three toneholes.
King Friday

Post by King Friday »

Lorenzo wrote:Can you play your whistle without the mouthpiece? :lol:
Isn't that what Joannie does on Song of the Irish whistle sometimes?
EricWingler

Post by EricWingler »

King Friday wrote:
Lorenzo wrote:Can you play your whistle without the mouthpiece? :lol:
Isn't that what Joannie does on Song of the Irish whistle sometimes?
Actually, she is blowing over the mouthpiece instead of through it.
Eric Wingler
A Whistling Mathematician