Chiff & Fipple Diet Club

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
BrassBlower
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by BrassBlower »

Currently 226, down from a starting weight of 230.
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
Chuck_Clark
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Chuck_Clark »

Good going, Brassblower.
Its Winter - Gotta learn to play the blues
Rosee

Post by Rosee »

My goal this summer was to work out a lot and lose weight. I didn't really manage to lose any weight but I do feel in better shape and hope that maybe when I get back to school I'll start cutting sweets out of my diet (wah!) and keep up the workouts and see lovely results.
rkottke

Post by rkottke »

:roll: Following my physician's advice, I am starting the South Beach diet. I am now in day 2 of phase 1 and already my blood glucose has dropped to within the normal range. My goal is to lose 45 pounds and keep my blood glucose level well within the normal range. Even phase 1 does not seem to hard. I would be interested in finding out what others have experienced with this diet.

BTW, one member of the household really likes me on this diet. That is my dog. Last night she got scraps from the grilled salmon and tonight she got scraps from my grilled chicken breast.

I am not saying that I suggest that others follow this diet. I am on it with my physician's advice and support.
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

rkottke wrote:BTW, one member of the household really likes me on this diet. That is my dog. Last night she got scraps from the grilled salmon and tonight she got scraps from my grilled chicken breast.
Yeah, my dog really loved me when I was on Atkins. Fortunately for both of us, it turns out she also loves bananas, apples and oranges.
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

rkottke, My husband and I are on a modified South Beach diet. We are kind of on a combination of Atkins and South Beach. I like the South Beach diet, because I love to cook gourmet food (do try the mashed cauliflower...it is surprisingly good), but I don't really pay attention to what the book says I should eat when. I looked at the list of acceptable foods and I prepare and eat them when I feel like it. We don't measure our I Can't Believe It's Not Butter or our fat-free half-and-half. We just use the amount we want, for taste. My husband love eating in diners, so we go once or twice in a weekend an d try to forget what kind of oil thay are cooking his eggs (and my bunless burger) in. At home, I use olive oil. We also allow ourselves cocktail sauce on our shrimp. I did not lose the 8-13 pounds they mentioned in the first two weeks. I lost 6. My husband lost 8. We have stayed on our own modification of phase 1 (have not added fruit or grains) for a month. I have lost a total of 8 and he has lost 10. It is slower than any diet I have ever been on, but I guess my body chemistry has changed because of my pregnancy. I still want to lose 20 more. My husband doesn't need to lose any (he is around 5'11" and he weighs 178), but he is staying on it to support me, and he enjoys it, actually. Good luck.
~JessieD
rkottke

Post by rkottke »

Thanks for the encourgement, I just finsihed day 4 of phase 1. I cannot believe all that I am eating! And the great news is that glucose level is down to 90 and that I lost 4 pounds, (weight measured on the same balance scale at my health club.) I have been into weight training and step aerobics for the past 18 months and lost a total of 15 pounds with not a pound in the last 5 months of that 18!. It must of been all that potatoes, bread, and pasta. Again thanks for the encourgement.
artsohio
Location: Far enough north to get the new "Dr. Who" on the CBC!

Post by artsohio »

Nice idea for a thread. I hope you don't mind a newbie with a different perspective joining in.

I am 5'6 and currently 128.6 pounds. This is after beng overweight nearly all my life. Over the last few years, I have lost about 80 pounds (I don't know what my starting weight was, I just know it was over 185) on Weight Watchers. My husband lost nearly 40! I have been on maintenance for about 3 months but it is still a constant struggle. I need to write down every single thing I eat and I still have to count points or else I gorge myself. I am on the low side of my weight range and every says I look gaunt, but I feel so fat. I think I have lost the ability to tell when I am hungry or full. I completely go by the time and how many points I have left.

I know this is extremely unhealthy. It seems like I have conquered the weight issue but the food problems still linger.

Any hints for how to make it any easier? I thought losing the weight would be the hard part.
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

My wife is a weight Watchers Life Member - and I think she is still obsessive about weight and points.

I hate to say it, but the few WW Life Members I've known well enough to be aware of their lifestyle adaptations are muuch like Martha. Have you talked to your WW instructor about this?
boomerang

Post by boomerang »

hard to believe isnt it
i gained 5 pounds and i still look good,
provided i dont look in the mirror,

Mirrors have a lot to answer for

break a mirror today and have 7 years of no weight problems,
oh yea, and bad luck too.

how many calories do i burn that way?? :lol:

sorry

i am weak
i will leave this thread to those who try in earnest to be hungry
:D
Never argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level then beat you with experience!!
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

boomerang wrote:sorry...i will leave this thread to those who try in earnest to be hungry
Thanks. Purrsheeate it.

I lost another couple of pounds. Still more than I ever weighed before pregnancy, but down to 158.9.
~JessieD
Wanderer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

Well, since I'm back watching my calories as of 1 week ago, I might as well join the thread :)

My story:
I was 'husky' as a kid...until puberty. And then I was pretty thin..27-28 inch waist. I stayed that thin until my mid-twenties. Now I can't use the BMI index or height/weight charts as a measure of success.. I have too much muscle mass on my legs from a lifetime of kung fu.
When I went into the navy during the first gulf war, I had a 27 inch waist, and measured at 3% body fat. In fact, I got in trouble with the doc for having so little body fat, since that's at the dangerous level. But I weighed in at 190 lbs-when he put me on the scale, he kind of looked at me sideways and up and down and then went "Uh..where?"--I assume meaning "Where the heck is all that freaking weight?!" :)

Anyway, when I was about 26 or 27, I worked out 3 days a week, and taught 2 kung fu classes a week. One day, doing upside-down hangign situps, I herniated my abdomen and pretty much went off of regular exercise since it always made me feel sick and in pain after. The pounds just came on steadily over the next few years, but I was in a bit of denial about it. I didin't really think I was that big.

I was near 300 lbs a couple of years ago when I played for the Irish consolate General, Charles Sheehan. Some pictures taken of the event completely smashed any denial I had, and I went on a calorie restricted diet. Kept that up until I was down to 220, about a year later, and then slacked off. I've gained 20 lbs since then, so I'm back to watching what I eat.

My goals: To be around 210 and get my waist down to 32". I don't anticipate getting back down to a 27 or 28" waist, or 3% body fat. I just don't see a lot of guys my age with that body style, so I imagine it's not a realistic goal.

What's working for me: I still practice kung fu, though not really regularly. I was starting on a martial arts regimen when I had to move to Dallas, and had to leave a lot of equipment (kicking bags, etc) behind. I intend on starting that back up. Primarily though, I'm counting calories (trying to stay at about 1600 a day), and walking--2 miles a day right now, increasing it every week.

Current weight 235 (-5 lbs)
emmitt2u

Post by emmitt2u »

Just remember the words of the late,great Gorilla Monsoon-"A pat on the back is just 18 inches from a kick in the ass"
rkottke

Post by rkottke »

:D :D :D
No matter what diet you are on, the food should taste good! I made on Sunday the "Sage and Rosemary Pork" on page 258 in The South Beach Diet Cookbook. It was better than good, it was the best pork roast I ever had. I followed the recipe carefully except that I baked it on my Weber gas grill, (a grill in which I can monitor and adjust the temperature.)

Just passing along a good thing!
mvhplank
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by mvhplank »

I'm returning to Phase I of South Beach--Phase II wasn't working well for me. There's quite a learning curve for me, since in my youth I was quite petite.

But I do agree that eating well doesn't mean eating tasteless things. I want to recommend Barbara Kafka's Microwave Gourmet Healthstyle Cookbook, which is pretty widely available. She also wrote the groundbreaking (IMHO) Microwave Gourmet, which is worth whatever you pay because of the food index in the back. (Like how long to cook just an ear of corn, or one chicken breast.) Fish does incredibly well in the zapper.

Perversely, I've adapted her "Chicken in Red Wine" (a low-fat coq au vin) for my slow-cooker. Serve it over brown rice--yum!

Kafka's written a number of other cookbooks. The one I've gotten most recently is Roasting--A Simple Art. Just about everything is roasted at a nuclear-hot 500 degrees. I was skeptical, but the trout I cooked in a total of 12 minutes made me a believer.

M
Marguerite
Gettysburg