Chiff & Fipple Diet Club

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
RonKiley
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by RonKiley »

Thanks a lot Jerry. That actually was very encouraging. I have dropped from 28% to 23%. My wife is at 24%. The strength training makes a big difference for me. I hope everybody can find something that works for them. It has taken me 16 months so far but I feel 1000% better. It is a shame that it takes something like a heart attack to wake someone like me up.

Everyone hang in there.
Ron
amar
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

my bmi's just under 19.
teeheehee.
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

Kiss my ass, Amar. :lol:

Seriously though, you are doing exactly what we don't want in here. Please don't participate.
~JessieD
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

okok..didn't mean no harm. :wink:
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Some interesting stuff.

My stats:

Age 43
height 5-9 (175 cm)
weight a couple of months ago: 171//77.5 kg
Current: 167/76

This is a hair more than I weighed my junior year of high school, but 15-20 lb more than I weighed from about age 17-25. From there I crept up, more or less gaining 10 lb each winter and shedding 5 or so in the summers. I peaked out at about 190 about 6-8 years ago. Knee surgery and PT, and I shed about 15 pounds that summer.

170 has been kind of a wall for me, and I'd like to get down to 160. More importantly, as someone mentioned earlier in the thread, my pants are looser, and a few people have noticed that I look thinner.

The calculators Jerry posted are interesting. My body fat is 22%, BMI 24.7. I like the body fat measure, but the BMI is one of those things that someone stumbled upon using only statistics. According to it, some of the world's greatest athletes are overweight or even obese.

Off for my lunchtime run!
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
BillChin

Post by BillChin »

chas wrote:Some interesting stuff.

My stats:

Age 43
height 5-9 (175 cm)
weight a couple of months ago: 171//77.5 kg
Current: 167/76

This is a hair more than I weighed my junior year of high school, but 15-20 lb more than I weighed from about age 17-25. From there I crept up, more or less gaining 10 lb each winter and shedding 5 or so in the summers. I peaked out at about 190 about 6-8 years ago. Knee surgery and PT, and I shed about 15 pounds that summer.

170 has been kind of a wall for me, and I'd like to get down to 160. More importantly, as someone mentioned earlier in the thread, my pants are looser, and a few people have noticed that I look thinner.

The calculators Jerry posted are interesting. My body fat is 22%, BMI 24.7. I like the body fat measure, but the BMI is one of those things that someone stumbled upon using only statistics. According to it, some of the world's greatest athletes are overweight or even obese.

Off for my lunchtime run!
Chas,

My vital statistics are similar to yours, a bit shorter, a bit heavier, a bit lower weight goal. For me, my mental health goes hand-in-hand with the weight, and the physical health.
+ Bill
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

BillChin wrote: Chas,

My vital statistics are similar to yours, a bit shorter, a bit heavier, a bit lower weight goal. For me, my mental health goes hand-in-hand with the weight, and the physical health.
+ Bill
I run mostly for mental health rather than physical health, although the latter is a motivator, too. Most other forms of exercise that I enjoy have been taken away from me -- volleyball and basketball, soccer to some extent, due to shoulders that like to dislocate. I wanna take up cycling again soon (been off for about 3 years); that'll give the knees a little bit of a respite.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
rkottke

Post by rkottke »

Height: 5' 11"
Weight 18 months ago: 260lb.
Current Weight: 243lb.

About 18 months ago, I really was sick of my weight and how I felt. To do something about it, I got a personal trainer at a local health club and I started weight training. I have been warned that weight training is not a fast way to lose weight, and I found out that is correct. But in 18 months, I went from ~35% body fat to ~22%, lost 17 pounds, and got addicted to weight training. (For those in the sport, I am doing 190lb bench presses.) Physically I feel far better than I have for 10 years and I am in some ways stronger now than when I left U.S. Army basic training in 1968! I am now to the point that losing weight is secondary and maintaining muscle tone is primary. I still am a fat old bugger but I am a fat old bugger that works out with free weights.

This was not meant as advice to anyone on losing weight, just my personal story.

(P.S. I am also addicted to Tin Whistles and Celtic music!)
Jerry Freeman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jerry Freeman »

nevermind
Last edited by Jerry Freeman on Tue Jul 20, 2004 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

Jerry Freeman wrote:The bottom line:
Being fit and active, regardless of weight, is a very good thing.
Oh well. I guess a lazy person (with underactive sweat glands) like me is just doomed to a life of illness. Thanks for pointing that out.
~JessieD
tubafor

Post by tubafor »

It's so great to see so many folks encouraging each other here - a big hug to all of ya!

This past Thursday, I finally hit a milestone I've been hoping for since I started the program - I broke 400!!! OK - it was 399.8, but just to see a three instead of a four as the first number was a great thing!

And, my transition back to food has been going pretty well. Vicki's really helping me keep it all straight, so that my calorie range is staying between 1000 to 1300.

Nicest of all - being able to be outside and play catch with her on Saturday, and actually being able to stand for about 15 minutes without my knees knocking me over! :D I'm not walking with a cane anymore - just using my wheelchair for exercise and trips to the mall, the grocery store, etc. Amazing what happens to the knees when you get rid of over 86 lbs!

Keep it up, everyone! You remain in my thoughts and prayers...

Cal
"Vocatus, atque non vocatus, Deus aderit..."
------------------------------------------
Cal Olson
Whistles, Windsynth and other toys...
Hear samples from my CD "Angelica's Waltz" at:
www.myspace.com/praisewhistler
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

WAY TO GO, CAL!!!! :) :) :) :) :)

If we stick with this, between the two of us, we can probably lose a whole person. Wait - you already HAVE! :D
Its Winter - Gotta learn to play the blues
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

Way to go, Cal!!! :)
~JessieD
Jerry Freeman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jerry Freeman »

nevermind
Last edited by Jerry Freeman on Tue Jul 20, 2004 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tubafor

Post by tubafor »

Chuck_Clark wrote:If we stick with this, between the two of us, we can probably lose a whole person. Wait - you already HAVE! :D
I have a picture of my three nieces on my desktop at work - we've told them that so far, I've lost most of the two younger ones, and am working on losing the oldest... :lol:

Fortunately, they find that very funny! :D