FREE FROM SERPENT MUSIC - A THANK YOU

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
billw
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

FREE FROM SERPENT MUSIC - A THANK YOU

Post by billw »

I got my start on this board, and want to give something back to the community, so I've posted four graduated whistle tunes on my website for you beginner-to-intermediate whistlers to use in the "old traditional way" of learning whistle.

http://www.serpentmusic.com and follow the link to the free "Whistle Practice" page. You can play or download the four tunes I use in my whistle classes at Alcott Arts Center. No charge, no obligation.

Please, enjoy, and if you have questions or comments, don't hesitate to email me.

Cheers, :D
Bill Whedon
Serpent Music
Ye Olde Whistlesmith Saying:
A whistle without a fipple, is just a piece of leaky pipe!

Click the WWW and come have some fun with poems and music and now BOOKS! and check out the preeeety whistles and the T-shirts with attitude! :D
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Traditionally one was supposed to learn from a good player not a wooden one :D. Seriously Bill if you can't play your way through a simple jig, consider joining a beginners' class instead of trying to teach one.
Jetboy

Post by Jetboy »

Ouch!
www.westonwhistles.co.uk

I am in a World of my own. But I am happy here, everyone knows me!
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Sorry for being blunt but in august 2002
serpent wrote: I'm working on .wav .mp3 and .au files for the site, but I'm pretty lousy as a player so it's taking some time.

Bill Whedon, Proprietor Extraordinaire
Serpent Music

this is the first time I heard him play and don't think he can blame me for finally agreeing with him for once.
gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

Now I'm not trying to start up some crap with the boy from county Clare, but I have heard Bill perform several times, and he's more than adequate for the task at hand, especially given the venue -- a community arts center in the midwest -- and the audience of complete tyros. We don't all have access to Mr. Ochs' classes or to a mentor who has been playing all his or her life, and indeed, that's not really needed when just starting out. I don't think Bill is trying to pass himself off as a master instructor, but I think he is making an effort to share what he does know with the commmunity. (And yes, he did link it through Serpent music, but who cares.)
Crazy for the blue white and red
Crazy for the blue white and red
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

We're not starting any crap. We've had a discussion before about presenting yourself as a teacher to learn by ear, if you want to do it realise you're setting an example for those who listen to you, if you're not up to it, don't teach by ear. I am serious here, the clip of Bill playing the Kesh jig is not something I'd advise any learner as listening material. There's nothing good in it, you're better off learning on your own from CDs of good players or from a tutor book.
Bloomfield
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

There'll be a strong enough showing of admiration and support for BillW in a moment, in case some one is worried.

And it's something that comes up from time to time: Do you need more than a lathe, the flutomatic calculator, and an electronic tuner to make whistles? Last time that playing the whistle came up, BillW said to that: "I don't play them, I just make them." Wonder what happened to that particular sentiment.
serpent wrote:
I don't play them. I just make them. It's a requirement from anybody who's heard me. :o

:roll:
serpent
Find that thread here.

Billw = serpent, btw.
Last edited by Bloomfield on Fri Jul 23, 2004 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
/Bloomfield
JamesF

Post by JamesF »

[quote="Bloomfield"]There'll be a strong enough showing of admiration and support for BillW in a moment, in case some one is worried.
quote]
Soon, I hope.
Coz that was harsh. I wonder what he did to deserve that.
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

JamesF wrote:
Bloomfield wrote:There'll be a strong enough showing of admiration and support for BillW in a moment, in case some one is worried.
quote]
Soon, I hope.
Coz that was harsh. I wonder what he did to deserve that.
See James, that's the fun of jumping in as a relative newcomer here, everything is fresh, new and full of mystery :wink: You might want to stand back behind the blast shield though, as this thread is likely to get a bit.....heated :lol:

Loren
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

Blunt, perhaps, but I for one appreciate the honesty. If you're going to set yourself up as an instructor of anything, you'd better be prepared for some criticism - and if necessary use it as a learning experience. I haven't listened to the clips (can't - my daughter's dog ate my computer speaker wires) so I have no idea what the clips sound like. But I do value Peter's opinion when it comes to ITM. Beginners seriously interested in ITM should certainly be given a heads up if tunes being given out as learning tools are not up to par.

Susan
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Loren wrote: See James, that's the fun of jumping in as a relative newcomer here, everything is fresh, new and full of mystery :wink: You might want to stand back behind the blast shield though, as this thread is likely to get a bit.....heated :lol:

Loren
:)

And before you know it there'll be a thread about Trad snobs (or snobes as they affectionately called by some), of course with no names named. C&F can be fun. :)
/Bloomfield
irishduffy

Post by irishduffy »

History teachers told of a war between serpent and the board. I feared this day would come SW2. I shall go to my flame proof shelter now, as I wish not to be scorched.

[Being a Newbie I will just sit and watch.] Popcorns ready, just in time as the Uilleann board war cooled down.

Edited to say this did not work, I was sucked in. :roll:
Last edited by irishduffy on Fri Jul 23, 2004 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

JamesF wrote: I wonder what he did to deserve that.
I once questioned the fact he seemed proud being a 'pretty lousy player' and didn't think it was an admirable quality in a maker of instruments.

he told me (on the 27 of aug 2002 if you want to look it up):
Please don't judge me or my whistles until you have heard the music.
I have heard him now. and I gave my opinion.

As for the argument that you don't need an experienced player at the early stages. we have a very experienced instructor in town. She is an absolutely beautiful whislteplayer and she teaches by ear. How she does it I don't know but even the eight to ten year olds follow her music by example, playing gorgeous little marches and jigs even after six months with all the musicality and bounce you'd be looking for in tunes like that. How you learn at the early stages sets up the difference between playing music and playing notes. Where do you get if your instructor is completely lacking in these qualities?
glauber

Post by glauber »

I'm not gonna say nothing... i like Bill a lot and i believe he does what he does out of the generosity of his heart... but Peter is right. Trust me on this one. I don't even think he was harsh, just honest. The clips show a lack of basic breath control, intonation control and articulation skills. And the Kesh jig doesn't really count as "difficult", imho.
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
lollycross

Post by lollycross »

Gee, guys, this is NOT the ITRAD forum!
Bill is NOT from Ireland!
In this country we don't hear ITRAD music from the time we are
in the womb.
Why would anyone in his area of Missouri care if he just played
"notes" and sounded American or not? In his neck-of-the-woods,
I'm sure it sounds plenty "Irish".
Lolly