Best unusual whistle material

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.

Which unusual material would you like best for a whistle?

Corn cob
9%
Jade
22%
Alum
2%
Cubic zirconium
7%
Wax
No votes
Porcelain
7%
Pyrex
7%
Corrian
2%
Titanium alloy
24%
Something or other else. (may elaborate below)
22%

Total votes: 46

TelegramSam
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by TelegramSam »

my dad has a candlestick made out of petrified wood actually. Kind of a weird use for the stuff.
<i>The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.</i>
toughknot

Post by toughknot »

happyturkeyman wrote:Yeah a bone whistle would be cool.
How about a low D from the femur bone of Wolverine the X-man. What are his bones made of ..... adamantium ?
I shall never bitter be so long as I can laugh at me.
toughknot

Post by toughknot »

amar wrote:how about finger/toe nails that are immensly thickened by a fungus? onychomycotic, so to speak. :lol:

ok, that was one of my gross moments.
And on it you could play that old Scottish reel "Fungus Amongus "
Wombat
antispam: No

Post by Wombat »

Nanohedron wrote:
Wombat wrote:Nobody's suggested hashish yet. I'm puzzled.
Perhaps the urge to light it is an issue. The tuning would suffer as the whistle shortens, and blowing into it would waste the smoke.

How about radium? You could find your whistle in the dark.
No problem here for the makers. The more we misuse them the more they sell.

And just think of the advantages. No second octave screech. In fact it just keeps on getting more mellow the higher you go. And when a session lights up you'll really be smoking on that little sucker .. er blower.

This is also the easiest way to tell a plausible version of the Bill Clinton alibi.
toughknot

Post by toughknot »

Wombat wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:
Perhaps the urge to light it is an issue. The tuning would suffer as the whistle shortens, and blowing into it would waste the smoke.

And just think of the advantages. No second octave screech. In fact it just keeps on getting more mellow the higher you go. And when a session lights up you'll really be smoking on that little sucker .. er blower.

This is also the easiest way to tell a plausible version of the Bill Clinton alibi.
I dont think many would be able to improve on playing though as they would continually have to lay down the whistle (in a nearby ashtray of course) to reach for that bag of Frito's or that wonderful bag of MandM's full of that distracting kaelidoscope of colors.... Owners of these whistles wouldnt be able to join in sessions INSIDE the pub due to the no smoking laws. There are many other reasons a hash whistle may not be practical ....which reminds me of those tv ads "Why do you think they call it dope?" I'm not passing judgement in any way though, I have yet to reach perfection and have plenty room for growth.For example I smoke Marlboros ,enough to have killed several cowboys. As a health care professional I should know better yet I remain in the evil weeds grip.
toughknot

Post by toughknot »

toughknot wrote:
amar wrote:how about finger/toe nails that are immensly thickened by a fungus? onychomycotic, so to speak. :lol:

ok, that was one of my gross moments.
And on it you could play that old Scottish reel "Fungus Amongus "
Must apologize as I believe this my be a tune of Swedish origin. Not sure though , confused by the gus's.......
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

toughknot wrote:I dont think many would be able to improve on playing though as they would continually have to lay down the whistle (in a nearby ashtray of course) to reach for that bag of Frito's or that wonderful bag of MandM's full of that distracting kaelidoscope of colors.... Owners of these whistles wouldnt be able to join in sessions INSIDE the pub due to the no smoking laws. There are many other reasons a hash whistle may not be practical ....which reminds me of those tv ads "Why do you think they call it dope?"
As I think you realise, we weren't being serious.
toughknot wrote:I'm not passing judgement in any way though, I have yet to reach perfection and have plenty room for growth.For example I smoke Marlboros ,enough to have killed several cowboys. As a health care professional I should know better yet I remain in the evil weeds grip.
Been there and fortunately finally succeeded in doing that. Even if you try and fail repeatedly, if you have the strength you'll give up finally sooner or later. I don't pretend it's easy. I gave up drinking altogether last year and apart from missing 'party night' occasionally, I don't even notice. I just mean I miss being forced to relax as you do after a few drinks. I never drank more than once a week.
toughknot

Post by toughknot »

Wombat wrote:
toughknot wrote:I dont think many would be able to improve on playing though as they would continually have to lay down the whistle (in a nearby ashtray of course) to reach for that bag of Frito's or that wonderful bag of MandM's full of that distracting kaelidoscope of colors.... Owners of these whistles wouldnt be able to join in sessions INSIDE the pub due to the no smoking laws. There are many other reasons a hash whistle may not be practical ....which reminds me of those tv ads "Why do you think they call it dope?"
As I think you realise, we weren't being serious.
toughknot wrote:I'm not passing judgement in any way though, I have yet to reach perfection and have plenty room for growth.For example I smoke Marlboros ,enough to have killed several cowboys. As a health care professional I should know better yet I remain in the evil weeds grip.
Been there and fortunately finally succeeded in doing that. Even if you try and fail repeatedly, if you have the strength you'll give up finally sooner or later. I don't pretend it's easy. I gave up drinking altogether last year and apart from missing 'party night' occasionally, I don't even notice. I just mean I miss being forced to relax as you do after a few drinks. I never drank more than once a week.
Yes ,You were right I did know you were joking as was I. I was taught in nursing school that something like 95% of all communication is non verbal and most of our expression is conveyed through tone, body language, facial expression etc. etc. Trying to communicate through written word is a real handicap for me, which is my reason ( Excuse )for never answering letters (sorry Mom, Ill call soon).
I have quit smoking 3 times,twice for 5 months and once for 8 months ( so I guess thats not really quitting is it?) I get closer each time though.Thanks for the encouragement and sorry about all the ( )'s I guess I'm trying to compensate for not being able to use facial expression and intonation. I also gave up drink, about 6 years ago and feel much better.Apart from an occasional passing urge ( which passes very quickly ) I dont miss it and certainly not the bars at all. If we had sessions here that would be different though.I would go then to hear the music and hopefully meet a whistle instructor. And by the way I have always wanted to visit Australia but havent made it yet. Thought I might get there when I was in the Navy years ago but no such luck. I did have an australian girlfriend when I was a teenager living in France but she and her family moved to Morrocco.Anyway thanks for the hello and nice to meet ya! Oh ya as a postscript I guess after reading the 2 notorious threads I was trying too be carefull not to offend.This written language is challenging
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

Wombat wrote:
Been there and fortunately finally succeeded in doing that. Even if you try and fail repeatedly, if you have the strength you'll give up finally sooner or later.
Or, you could try the strength-free method: http://www.coastalfog.net/personal/quitsmoking.html

No guarantees, but it worked for me.
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

toughknot wrote: I have quit smoking 3 times,twice for 5 months and once for 8 months ( so I guess thats not really quitting is it?) I get closer each time though.Thanks for the encouragement and sorry about all the ( )'s I guess I'm trying to compensate for not being able to use facial expression and intonation.
Don't worry about it. I'll come to that later. What you say about cigarette is exactly how I did it. In the 10 years or so before I finally gave up I was probably only smoking for say 6 and even then only a small amount. But that drug plays fearful tricks on the mind.
toughknot wrote: I also gave up drink, about 6 years ago and feel much better.Apart from an occasional passing urge ( which passes very quickly ) I dont miss it and certainly not the bars at all. If we had sessions here that would be different though.I would go then to hear the music and hopefully meet a whistle instructor.
I actually don't mind not drinking when friends are. I always have alcohol at home to offer to guests and I'm not tempted.
toughknot wrote:And by the way I have always wanted to visit Australia but havent made it yet. Thought I might get there when I was in the Navy years ago but no such luck. I did have an australian girlfriend when I was a teenager living in France but she and her family moved to Morrocco.
Well you might make it, yet. It's a very interesting country but almost everybody thinks that about home.
toughknot wrote:Anyway thanks for the hello and nice to meet ya! Oh ya as a postscript I guess after reading the 2 notorious threads I was trying too be carefull not to offend.This written language is challenging
Oh, don't worry too much about that. Most people thought the 'offence' was a bit forced at best. The people being accused of being rude, me included I hope, are amongst the most friendly and helpful in the community but we would rather risk slipping from bluntness to rudeness than allow things to pass that we think are harmful to robust communication or which seriously mislead people. And the people being blunt were being provoked. (This stuff has a history.) I've had a few misunderstandings with other blunt people that get resolved as soon as we see what's really going on. Nobody gets hurt. There are no hard feelings. Just be yourself; I'm sure we'll cope.
toughknot

Post by toughknot »

Thank you Darwin and Wombat for the support ,welcome and advice.I've saved the link Mike and will read it soon as I have to hit the sack,it's very late( or early) here in Pa.It's a pleasure to "speak" with you gentlemen and I look forward to reading your posts.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Wombat wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:

*blows whisk(e)y out his nose*

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Jetboy

Post by Jetboy »

Saw a glass whistle once. And a stone one. On this forum too, if I recall. You wouldn't want to drop either, really!

What about antler or bone. I wouldn't be surprised if your Native Americans havn't used both of these materials at some time or other for flutes/whistles.

Gimme something long enough, straight enough and hard enough I' give it a go! :lol:
www.westonwhistles.co.uk

I am in a World of my own. But I am happy here, everyone knows me!
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

There is also a synthetic material called "Tusq" that is used for guitar bridges and nuts as a substitute for ivory or bone. I don't know exactly what it is made of but I really like the name. :)
Mike
Rod Sprague

Post by Rod Sprague »

For a good list of sources of materials, including bone, go to;
http://www.windworld.com/emi/tools/resources.htm
which is also part of a very eclectic experimental instruments web site.

Here is an unusual material we haven’t discussed on this thread yet;
http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... sc&start=0

This is the link to when we talked about using pyrex and some other materials;

And here we talked about CVD diamond;

Rod