C&F VOTES!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
JessieK
antispam: No

Post by JessieK »

What a crock! I went to Declare Yourself and took the time to fill out the form. When I clicked on the link to download "[my] form", it gave me a BLANK form. I wonder if they are harvesting personal information for some fraudulent thing.
~JessieD
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

Sorry can't help you with this one, I live south by norlth of border. But at 58 I have exercised my right to vote in every federal and provincial election since I was eighteen. In the Canadian arm services you are allowed to vote regardless of age when at that time the age for voting in Canada was 21.

Of all my rights, this is the one that I hold the most dearly to me.

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
Rosee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Rosee »

I am already registered to vote, in the infamous state of Florida no less. And this being the first Presidential election I'm eligible to vote for even.
Daryl

Post by Daryl »

MarkB wrote:
Of all my rights, this is the one that I hold the most dearly to me.

MarkB

Me, too. I just wish it felt more like my vote actually meant something.
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

JessieK wrote:What a crock! I went to Declare Yourself and took the time to fill out the form. When I clicked on the link to download "[my] form", it gave me a BLANK form. I wonder if they are harvesting personal information for some fraudulent thing.
Whoa. If you'll take a moment to do a google search (I'd recommend these keys words: declare yourself voter registration ) you'll find that this his a nonpartisan and completely legit outfit. It was founded by Norman Lear, famous liberal, but is in partnership with Clear Channel Communications, famous non-liberals. I did some research before I put up that page of links.

What you encountered was most likely a technical thing.

Dale
mamakash

Post by mamakash »

I've held to political neutrality for all my adult years, but always thought the Democrats were the lesser of two evils. After seeing Fahrenheit 9/11, I can't even bear to watch either conventions.
Don't plan on tuning into the election night coverage in November. I figure I'll hide under the covers and refuse to come out until the recounts are over.
I sing the birdie tune
It makes the birdies swoon
It sends them to the moon
Just like a big balloon
Paul Reid

Post by Paul Reid »

Is it just me, or do US elections take an enormous amount of hype for almost an entire year?? Sheesh, us Canadians have it easy. PM calls an election - within a mandated period of time (more or less than four years, whatever) - and a couple of months later we have a new or same PM. In my view, the best part of the US election campaigns and overblown b.s./rhetoric/shockingly stupid statements (which Canucks are not immune from, BTW) is watching Jon Stewart's The Daily Show. Americans have a real treasure there!

Get out and vote!!!! (like the rest of the world does!!!!)
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

Paul Reid wrote:In my view, the best part of the US election campaigns and overblown b.s./rhetoric/shockingly stupid statements (which Canucks are not immune from, BTW) is watching Jon Stewart's The Daily Show. Americans have a real treasure there!
My daughter and I watch The Daily show religiously. He's absolutely hilarious - and while he's obviously more liberal than conservative, I've heard him skewer the Democrats just as sharply as he does the Republicans. He's great!

Susan
mvhplank
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by mvhplank »

Paul Reid wrote:...In my view, the best part of the US election campaigns and overblown b.s./rhetoric/shockingly stupid statements (which Canucks are not immune from, BTW) is watching Jon Stewart's The Daily Show. Americans have a real treasure there! ...
But doesn't this Jon Stewart quote scare you?

"I've been to Canada, and I've always gotten the impression that I could take the country over in about two days."

:D

See http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/autho ... ewart.html

M
Marguerite
Gettysburg
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

I am registered to vote, always have been since I became eligable. But I am very close to exercising my right not to. I am very tired of the campaign tatics (past and present) used by any and all parties. I am also weary of the seemingly endless coverage by the media. For this, I exercise my right to turn the toob off until it is over.

Wandering aimlessly through the forums of C&F, I am once again confronted with it.....sigh.... just when I thought I was safe. I suppose I can elect not to read the thread....whoops, too late.

I wonder, do representatives from non U.S. countries use these forums to promote their elections? :roll:
Last edited by Joseph E. Smith on Thu Jul 29, 2004 7:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
Paul Reid

Post by Paul Reid »

Hee hee. That the IMPRESSION. That's a nice impression to give, albeit modestly wrong -- but funny even to us :lol:

BTW, there was a poll published yesterday that theorized that if the same two candidates were running in a Canadian federal election, Kerry would score about 80% of the vote. I guess that would be using the US rules of actually getting to elect your head of state - we don't do that here.
PR

c[]|________||___o__o__O___o__O__º__º__||_]
      \\
sandpiper

Post by sandpiper »

Jon Stewart is my hero.
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

Paul Reid wrote:Is it just me, or do US elections take an enormous amount of hype for almost an entire year?? Sheesh, us Canadians have it easy. PM calls an election - within a mandated period of time (more or less than four years, whatever) - and a couple of months later we have a new or same PM.
Well, no, its actually more than TWO years, counting all the pre-primary spending, posturing and hype. Actually, I believe the next election actually starts on the day that the previous one is held, but then I get sort of jaded by this point in the cycle.

The US has many good things about it, but our way of running elections is expensive, it alienates more of the electorate than not, and the results are generally bound to anger/disappoint a far greater percentage of the electorate than they satisfy.

The parties assume that they are representative of the People (as in "We the People"). In fact, I contend that the USA has survived for 228 years not because of them but despite them. Technically they may represent their constituencies, although that is pretty rare unless 'constituency' is defined as "people who give me money", but practically I prefer actual prostitutes prostitutes to politicians - they're a more honest class of whore.
Its Winter - Gotta learn to play the blues
Roger O'Keeffe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Roger O'Keeffe »

Given the religious content of C&F, no doubt the you-know-whos will be after our mailing list.
An Pluiméir Ceolmhar
Bill Ochs

C&F Votes!

Post by Bill Ochs »

avanutria wrote:
I registered last month via mail in Washington from Utah. If it went through, I will be absentee voting from London. But they never told me if it went through and I haven't found how to check yet. Help appreciated, PM please.
You can find contact info for Utah election officials at:

http://elections.utah.gov/

Thanks to Dale for creating the voter registration page, and for starting this thread!

Bill Ochs