Humphrey Whistle (again)

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Jerry Freeman
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Someone posted these links to a BBC radio program (two episodes) about tunings, but I've lost track of where they were posted.

I was able to retrieve the link to the first show from my RealPlayer, and I found that changing the "1" to "2" in the URL got me the second episode, so we're back in business. Here they are:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/science/rams/outoftune1.ram

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/science/rams/outoftune2.ram

I haven't listened through the second episode yet, but it starts with a microtuned dulcimer and mentions someone who uses dulcimers in a variety of tunings.

Best wishes,
Jerry
glauber
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by glauber »

OK, i played the thing in session tonight. The only time i noticed some clashing notes was when there was just an accordion and another whistle. But the other whistle was a Generation :D and i'm not sure the guy was in tune anyway. It mostly blended well. It had enough volume to keep up with the session untill it (the session) got too loud. At that point, the lack of the "pop" that i get with the O'Briain or the Silkstone put me in disadvantage.

But overall, it blended well with the other instruments and was a fun whistle to play.

g
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
glauber

Post by glauber »

Bloomfield wrote:Very insteresting to see the variation on the second step (E) between Werkmeister and Just. Can you record a clip of a scale and post it? How does it feel playing in G?
OK, you asked for it... I played the same thing on the Raindog/Humphrey, and on the Silkstone, which i think is the whistle i have that's the most simillar to the Humphrey: I think the differences are subtle. I'm curious if they're noticeable to anybody, in the recordings.

g
--Wellsprings--
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Groovy! Thanks for that, G.

I do like the sound of the Humphrey very much (and I am confirmed in considering the Silkstones brash, empty things---to each his own, I guess).
I think I can hear a difference but I am not sure that I actually do. The differences may be subtle enough that it's hard to distinguis intonation from timbre. For instance the Silkstone sounded slightly lower to me: Did you tune them both to the same pitch beforehand? And the Silkstone sounded a bit harsher, but weather that is harsh equal vs. soft Werkmeister, or timbre, I cannot say.

Cool, this sort of thing is really great. :)
/Bloomfield
glauber

Post by glauber »

I didn't use a tuner; they were tuner the same way by virtue of playing them both last wednesday, but the brass and aluminum warm up at different rates, and i'm sure they're not in tune.

g
--Wellsprings--
glauber

Post by glauber »

OK, i have a slightly better sample for my Humphrey Werkmeister Wide Bore. This is The Mountain Road (reel), recorded as a Scoiltrad lesson. Still not Bloomfield, but a little better than the thing i posted before:

http://snipurl.com/whibe054 -> MP3, 867KB

As a curiosity, the Scoiltrad lesson is called The Wise Maid, but at least here in this part of the Empire, Wise Maid is a different reel.
--Wellsprings--
alespa
Tell us something.: Music has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember. Part of what I love about celtic/folk style music is the sound of a handful of handmade instruments that remind me of simpler times.

Post by alespa »

I don't know if you can do on pc, but on the mac you can click each link for the scale played on the Humphrey and Silkstone, and play them together and hear the variance. Pretty cool.

IMHO, the Humphrey is what I think of as being a rounder, more tubular sort of tone, probably a smoother sine wave (cleaner). The Silkstone, to my ear, sounds a little flatter (sine wave), but more timbre/tone color.
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

glauber wrote:OK, i have a slightly better sample for my Humphrey Werkmeister Wide Bore. This is The Mountain Road (reel), recorded as a Scoiltrad lesson. Still not Bloomfield, but a little better than the thing i posted before:

http://snipurl.com/whibe054 -> MP3, 867KB

As a curiosity, the Scoiltrad lesson is called The Wise Maid, but at least here in this part of the Empire, Wise Maid is a different reel.
Without a doubt,its the "Mountain Road", The "Wise Maid" is the reel Planxty play after the Jolly Beggar on their first album.

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
glauber

Post by glauber »

dubhlinn wrote:Without a doubt,its the "Mountain Road", The "Wise Maid" is the reel Planxty play after the Jolly Beggar on their first album.
Yes, that's what i think. I mention the name in case someone wants to buy the Scoiltrad lesson.
--Wellsprings--