Do you use your bottom-hand pinky to stabilize your whistle?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.

Nope - my pinky is just an observer
36%
Sometimes - depends on the whistle, tune, phase of the moon, etc.
18%
Usually/Always - I place it on top of the whistle
33%
Usually/Always - I place it on the side of the whistle
12%
Usually/Always - I place it under the whistle
1%

Total votes: 84

waltcamp45
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by waltcamp45 »

Making my way slowly (to prolong the enjoyment) through Grey Larsen's The Essential Guide to Irish Flute and Tin Whistle. He advises using the pinky of your bottom hand as one of four stabilization points. And he recommends placing your pinky on top of the whistle, just as you would if you were using it to cover a finger hole.

I'd never tried this, though I do occasionally use my pinky for stabilization (but have never thought much about where and how I place it on the whistle).

I'd be interested to know whether others use their pinky fingers and--if so--where they place them on the whistle.

Please note: I'll likely mention the results of this poll and may cite some especially insightful remarks on an upcoming episode of the TinPenny WhistleCast.

I'm eager to hear what others do, as I'm still having trouble getting the hang of what Grey advises. I wonder if it's better to place the pinky on the side of the whistle (if it won't comfortably reach the top) or just use your bottom-hand third finger to stabilize the whistle (and accept the tonal consequences).

Pinky power!

Walt
crookedtune
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by crookedtune »

I seem to recall a thread on this subject not too long ago. It was split, with most not using the pinkie too much. I never did until I started playing larger whistles, (Bb and beyond), at which point I started doing it more. It's probably a good habit to get into, but feels awkward if you haven't made it a habit yet.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
waltcamp45

Post by waltcamp45 »

crookedtune wrote:I seem to recall a thread on this subject not too long ago.
Any chance you recall the URL for that discussion? I did a quick search before posting my message and couldn't find anything in the results that seemed relevant (though I suspected this has been covered before ... perhaps more than once).

Thanks,

Walt
dfernandez77
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

I started as a pinkie downer. Played for several months that way.

When I received the Mad for Trad Whistle Tutorial, I saw how Brian Finnegan played. Watched a few other good whistle players, then tried pinkie up.

I use the third finger of my right hand on the bottom hole when stabilization is necessary. Personally I feel much more comfortable (and a little quicker) playing this way.

Try both. See which you like better.
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.
dfernandez77
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

I think maybe you searched for "pinky" instead of "pinkie." :)

http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php?t=41130
Daniel

waltcamp45

Post by waltcamp45 »

dfernandez77 wrote:I think maybe you searched for "pinky" instead of "pinkie." :)

http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php?t=41130
Ugh :oops: Always nice to make a giant, silly mistake like that.

Thanks for the kind suggestion/correction!

Walt
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

I don't use my pinky on whistles, but I do use it on flutes, on the toppish side.
~JessieD
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

The thing is that sooner or later one may play flute
(as Jessie's post suggests). Flute hand position can
be a bit devilish.

The third finger down works nicely on whistles, in my
experience, and sometimes simplifies fingering, once
you get the hang of it.

But, if you are going to hold flute in a more or less classical
way (Gray has a lot of good stuff about that), the
third finger down doesn't transfer so well--you
need your pinky.

So there's something to be said for using the pinky,
because it transfers to the flute, and it isn't so easy
to stop the right-hand dance the third finger down
involves once the habit is ingrained.

As to where the pinky goes, I think anywhere is fine
that's comfortable and stabilizes the whistle. My two cents.
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

i would love for my pinkie to be a lot longer to stablize my flute too.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
waltcamp45

Post by waltcamp45 »

jim stone wrote:But, if you are going to hold flute in a more or less classical way (Gray has a lot of good stuff about that), the third finger down doesn't transfer so well--you need your pinky.
Hmm, I'm learning the flute now and am using my pinkie to stabilize it, which makes it all the stranger that I never thought to do so with my whistle. Maybe it's due to the whistle's smaller size and easier manageability.

Walt
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

waltcamp45 wrote:I'm learning the flute now and am using my pinkie to stabilize it, which makes it all the stranger that I never thought to do so with my whistle. Maybe it's due to the whistle's smaller size and easier manageability.
I think it has instead to do with angle. I use my pinky on piccolos, too. And I don't use it on Low whistles.
~JessieD
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

jim stone wrote:The thing is that sooner or later one may play flute
Yeah, but wouldn't that extra finger cut down on the volume? :lol: Hey, just pulling your leg!! (I agree, it's good form, and necessary for flute, if you want to go there.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
dfernandez77

Post by dfernandez77 »

When I mess around on the flute (which is admittedly not very often, perhaps once ot twice a week) I have both the thumb and pinkie of my right hand on the flute. Both on the side towards me, thumb low on the curve and pinkie high on the curve.
Daniel

straycat82

Post by straycat82 »

I use my pinkie, I didn't start out that way but made the difficult transition later in my learning. I found that I was much quicker with my lower hand when my Pinkie didn't have to follow my ring finger everywhere. Although I tell students that if it isn't comfortable to put your pinkie on the whistle, if it hurts or causes your hands or wrists to strain then don't worry about it.
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

My pinkies aren't long enough to reach. It's not like they're little stubs, of course, but the rest of my fingers are very long in comparison, so when they're on the holes, the pinkies don't reach.

I refuse to feel guilty about this.