wooden Hoover!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
tomcat
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Used to live in Gilbert, AZ which is a suburb of Phoenix. Recently moved to Portland OR. Argh. Not sure if this is meeting the requirement of number of characters, but I'm trying.

wooden Hoover!

Post by tomcat »

i think it was only a matter of time before the skilled carpenter turned whistlesmith did it - but the wait has been worth it! Mack is now producing whistles in wood. i am the proud owner a black walnut low g that is the best whistle i own and one of the best i've ever played.

mack has two styles - one with his black top and the other with a wooden fipple. i have played both and both are excellent. the black top is smooth and lends itself to a wide variety of styles and sounds. the wooden whistle has a lot of back pressure - which has taken me awhile to get use to, but now that i'm getting the hang of it, it lends itself to great expression.

but the best thing about the whistle is its voice. the lower register is full. some whistles may have a nice low sound - but it doesn't fill the air. this whistle produces a full bell note. and its upper register is sweet without a hint of shrillness. mack's whistles have always been known as producing a clear tone - again, i would say, this whistle has just a hint of raspiness to give it the perfect mixture of a complex voice.

i have never been a fan of whistle in the key of g - that is until i played macks....can't really put my finger on why i didn't care for this key - perhaps the voice seemed lacking depth - but mack's version is quite nice.

and the black walnut looks beautiful.....

i wish i could say something bad about this whistle to make the review sound more objective (well i guess i did with the backpressure comment) but i'm hard pressed to find anything.

thanks mack for terriffic workmanship!
Henke

Post by Henke »

Where are the pictures!? :swear:
tomcat
Tell us something.: Used to live in Gilbert, AZ which is a suburb of Phoenix. Recently moved to Portland OR. Argh. Not sure if this is meeting the requirement of number of characters, but I'm trying.

Post by tomcat »

sorry . . . i'll try to get some picts up asap....
khl
Tell us something.: Longtime member of Chiff and Fipple. I own/have owned more whistles than a person should, I think. But I’m not complaining.

Post by khl »

Henke wrote:Where are the pictures!? :swear:
If you follow this link (to another whistle forum) and scroll down, you can see a picture of one of Mack's wood whistles: http://www.praisewhistlers.org/pwboard/ ... php?t=1113

And here:
http://www.praisewhistlers.org/pwboard/ ... php?t=1099
Keith
peteinmn
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by peteinmn »

Henke wrote:Where are the pictures!? :swear:
More pictures at http://mackhooverwhistles.com/. Enter Mack's site and then click on "Announcements" on the left menu bar. Scroll down the Announcements page to see a fair variety of these near the bottom of that page.

javascript:emoticon(':)')
smile
King Friday

Post by King Friday »

Man those look incredible. And $150 for a handmade wooden whistle isn't bad at all.
Buckeye67

Post by Buckeye67 »

Sounds fantastic! Looking forward to some photos, black walnut is one of my favorite woods. :)
peteinmn

Post by peteinmn »

Want to hear something that IMHO is very cool?

http://mackhooverwhistles.com/sounds/Pa ... noninG.mp3

Played by Gary McLarry on this:

:)
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Re: wooden Hoover!

Post by IDAwHOa »

tomcat wrote:i think it was only a matter of time before the skilled carpenter turned whistlesmith did it - but the wait has been worth it!
What wait? :-? I have had a wooden Hoover whistle for quite some time now. This is Mac's picture, but I own that whistle. It is made of Redwood and sounds fantastic.

Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
Mack.Hoover
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Mack.Hoover »

"What wait? confused I have had a wooden Hoover whistle for quite some time now."

To clear up the confusion:

The redwood high D's (I made ten about three years ago) were an experiment that never really came to fruition. I have had heard that some are still in tact (thanks IDAwHOa), but I am not making D's, just low G's.

Mack
piperdoc

Post by piperdoc »

mack, why low G? is that just the first one you have done the R and D on?
meir
Mack.Hoover

Post by Mack.Hoover »

piperdoc wrote:mack, why low G? is that just the first one you have done the R and D on?
meir
Hi Meir!
I see you made it over here!

G because I like the sound and like to play in G and C with my tenor banjo buddies. :party:
The peoples key I've been told.

And it is what I'm tooled up for at present. I have made other keys, but that is the one for the market for now.
Mack.Hoover

Post by Mack.Hoover »

:oops:
cutterpup

Post by cutterpup »

That's okay cuz the G is what I want anyways :D
Judy and The Cutterpup
31 cameras, 11 recorders, 14 whistles, 3 mountain dulcimers, 1 vintage practice chanters, 1 wooden mystery flute, 1 hammered dulcimer, 1 bowed psaltry, 1 clarinet, 1 husband, 2 kids, 2 kids-in-law, 2 grandkids, 2 cats, 1 dog