Looking for Praise and Worship songs

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
violinmyster
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Looking for Praise and Worship songs

Post by violinmyster »

Anyone know of any good praise and worship music available for high D whistles?
I have found some on Whistle and Squeak and was wondering if there were any other sites.
MTGuru
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Looking for Praise and Worship songs

Post by MTGuru »

The Praise Whistlers site and message board is probably the place to look for leads:

http://www.praisewhistlers.org/
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
TheSpoonMan

Post by TheSpoonMan »

In my experience contemporary Christian music is best learned by ear, like Irish music... not because it's particularly intricate, but because it's simple enough melodies, while (I at least find that) syncopated rhythms are learned better by ear, if you're going to be playing simple tunes anyway. I don't know where to find free lead sheets, tho. Back when I was on my church worship team I used CCLI, but of course my pastor had a paid account with them. I'm sure you can find something on the internet. If it's old hymns you want, pfft, there's plenty of sheet music for free on the net. cyberhymnal.net is good if you have NWC (which is free).
rebl_rn

Post by rebl_rn »

There's several sites with free lead sheets - if you know what song you want, just google it and you will find it (sometimes though, when printed out the chords don't line up where they should).

If you (or your church/praise and worship team) will spend the money for CCLI, it's worth it, IMHO, for all that you get. I suppose it really depends how much you would use it though.
Wash your hands. Cough and sneeze in your sleeve. Stay home if you are sick. Stay informed. http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu for more info.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

What is CCLI? :-?

rebl_rn

Post by rebl_rn »

CCLI= Christian Copyright Licensing International

By paying a single annual fee (based on church size) to CCLI your church has copyright permission for over 200,000 Christian songs for congregational use. Almost any praise and worship song is covered under CCLI. This way churches can legally copy songs/lyrics/etc, without the nightmare of having to get permission from the copyright holders themselves.

CCLI offers some services for additional fees, that provide lead sheets, vocal/hymn sheets, chord sheets, lyrics download, and song samples, videos, and lots of other stuff.
Wash your hands. Cough and sneeze in your sleeve. Stay home if you are sick. Stay informed. http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu for more info.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Thanks! :)

mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

Join the choir/folk group/praise team at your church or just steal a songbook, hymnal, or missalette and practice at home.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
TheSpoonMan

Post by TheSpoonMan »

I agree that if a church can afford it, CCLI is great. Especially if you get the lead sheets/chord sheets. (my own opinions on Christian music copyrights set aside... heh heh heh)
hoopy mike

Post by hoopy mike »

TheSpoonMan wrote:I agree that if a church can afford it, CCLI is great. Especially if you get the lead sheets/chord sheets. (my own opinions on Christian music copyrights set aside... heh heh heh)
Well, there's some controversy over whether anyone really needs CCLI. It depends if a church service would be classed legally as a public performance. Personally, I doubt that it would, but I don't think it's been tested in a court of law. Oh, and I'm no expert and this advice comes with the usual disclaimer!
breqwas

Post by breqwas »

Copyrights? On songs you sing in church, praising god? Wow. I thought only scientologists do things like that.

( did not want to offend anyone, sorry if did )
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

hoopy mike wrote:Well, there's some controversy over whether anyone really needs CCLI. It depends if a church service would be classed legally as a public performance. Personally, I doubt that it would, but I don't think it's been tested in a court of law.
Things may be different under UK law. I am a praise worship leader at a local church here in th US. I play music off the contemporary Christian music charts every Sunday. If I stuck to music in the public domain many of our attendees would find another place to worship.. We do subscribe to CCLI and CVLI (for videos) as well. Our national church has a large portion of its website dedicated to the intracacies of copyright licensing. A church is not considered part of the "fair use" interpretation of the law here in the states. They are reponsible under all copyright laws and the US courts have been active and some cases which have received national media attention here in the US.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
hoopy mike

Post by hoopy mike »

Thanks for that, Feadoggie. Yeah, if you're playing contemporary stuff, then CCLI is probably the way to go, but it bugs me that the same licence pretends to cover much older songs and hymns like "Amazing Grace".
rebl_rn

Post by rebl_rn »

hoopy mike wrote:Thanks for that, Feadoggie. Yeah, if you're playing contemporary stuff, then CCLI is probably the way to go, but it bugs me that the same licence pretends to cover much older songs and hymns like "Amazing Grace".
Hmmm, I don't think CCLI claims to do that...IIRC, when you look up a public domain song/hymn in CCLI's song select, it tells you it's public domain. I could be mistaken, because it's been a few years since I used song select.

But it's also surprising some of the older, more traditional hymns that you'd THINK were under public domain are not. Even though the original composers/writers are dead, someone still holds a copyright on them.
dolphinjon

Post by dolphinjon »

A big part of CCLI is that it allows a church to publish lyrics in the bulletin and on overhead projection. You don't need it if you own a copy of the music for each person in the service, so churches that only use hymnals are often safe. CCLI also allows us to make copies of certain music for the choir and musicians. There's another company that churches can use, but CCLI has the largest selection of music. Basically, CCLI is there to help protect churches from getting in legal trouble related to copying and reprinting music, some pictures, and some videos depending on the license a church purchases.