Burke C

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Whistling Archer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Burke C

Post by Whistling Archer »

Im in the market for a nice whistle, funds are there at the moment, want to get something before it drifts away.

Im thinking Burke brass wide bore C

I know its not standard ITM key,, but I am almost always( 99%) playing alone, just at house or park. I prefer the C tone for in the house. and every guitar player can play in C.
I planning on getting one before our Dickens fest, should be fun to play there.

does this selection seem logical? or am I missing something

much thanks
Steve
Last edited by Whistling Archer on Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.youtube.com/user/sjeter61
My tunes , if you're interested
Lars Larry Mór Mott
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Re: Burke C

Post by Lars Larry Mór Mott »

Fair enough, although i'd choose an iMpempe C for around half the price (last i checked) and with a bit more character tone-wise. Also don't overlook SYN, also a whistle i'd pick over the Burke.
I find Burke whistles very nicely made and with impeccable intonation, it's the sound that's a bit .. bland (for lack of better words)
the artist formerly known as Mr_Blackwood
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

First off the Burke brass C is a very, very good whistle. It is well designed and well made. They play very well. Go for it. There's no need to listen to others telling you to buy something else. You can buy a different whistle but you can't really buy a better whistle.
Whistling Archer wrote:and every guitar can play in C.
Last time I checked, every guitar can play in C and A and Bb and B and C# and D and Eb and E and F and F# and G and Ab too. They've got these new fangled gizmos called a capotasto that are all the rage just now which allow a guitarist to play easily in any key with any of the usual open chord shapes. So I wouldn't buy a C whistle necessarily based on your premise for the key of C. One thing that has surprised me about playing with guitarists over the years is that I find myself reaching for a B whistle (usually a Burke brass as well) quite often to play in the key of E - no pesky F barre chord there. I use a G whistle a lot with guitars as well. What seems to matter the most depends on whether there is a vocalist involved and in which key they are most comfortable singing. And from my perspective as a guitarist, I play in what ever key the singer wants or based on any other instruments that can't easily switch keys. Knowing who you will be playing with and what keys they prefer is a good indicator in choosing a key for a whistle.

But at the end of the day, a C whistle is probably the second most common whistle out there after the D. Buy a Burke brass C. Then get the G and the A. Followed shortly after by the Bb or low F and maybe an E or B. You get the idea. :)

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
Whistling Archer

OOPS I meant every guitar PLAYER :oops: I fixed it

Ive got a blackbird in C and a Mellow dog in D, I just seems to enjoy the C more, both great whistles, .
thanks Much
Steve
McElmurry
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by McElmurry »

I love my Burke Brass D but it is a challenge to keep condensation under control when playing outside below about 60 degrees F. Indoors at 72ish it is fine as long as I keep it under my arm when I am not playing.

This is just my experience and it is my first whistle but you might consider a non-metallic whistle if you want to play out of doors in cooler temperatures.
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Whistling Archer wrote:OOPS I meant every guitar PLAYER I fixed it
No difference really. No matter what chord shapes or tuning the guitar player prefers, a ten dollar capo makes any key possible and easy to play. Guitarists really don't have to fret (sorry, couldn't resist) over what key a tune or song is set in.

You'll like the Burke. You'll want Burkes in a few more keys too. :)

As for condensation, McElmurry has a fair point. But I would submit that any whistle will condense moisture from one's breath at less than 60 degrees or so depending on the dew point. Think about it. I find the Burke a better choice than any of the all metal whistles for outdoor play. The Burkes have a delrin lined windway and plug. They behave more like all plastic whistles such as the Susatos for example. The head does need to be warmed at low temperatures, as does any whistle, but they will hold the temperature better than solid brass or aluminum designs. All whistles will have condensation issues at the right temperatures. It's physics. It is the nature of the beast. And the Burke is easy to clear the moisture in any case - nice big, open and curved windway. You just need to deal with it in the usual, not necessarily genteel, manners - and you have to learn to do that with any whistle in my experience.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
MadmanWithaWhistle
Tell us something.: Instrument maker and researcher exploring new methods of creating traditional instruments with longevity aforethought. Player of the whistle, flute, and continental European border pipes.

Post by MadmanWithaWhistle »

I'd caution you against Burkes. I know Feadoggie's a big fan, but I and many people I've chanced to talk to at Irish meetings don't care for them at all. Of the 20 or so people in Mary Bergin's whistle masterclass at Cascadia, I was the only Burke player, and for most of the week I played a different whistle I borrowed off of a friend. They're reliable instruments, sure, but in my (very subjective) opinion they lack a lot in terms of character and consistency across the octaves. The older ones I've played (with the round, "swallowed-grape" look) tend to be better. I'd play one and see what you think, of course, but I never developed any real emotional attachment to mine, which to me is the real test.
Lars Larry Mór Mott

Post by Lars Larry Mór Mott »

MadmanWithaWhistle wrote:I'd caution you against Burkes. I know Feadoggie's a big fan, but I and many people I've chanced to talk to at Irish meetings don't care for them at all. Of the 20 or so people in Mary Bergin's whistle masterclass at Cascadia, I was the only Burke player, and for most of the week I played a different whistle I borrowed off of a friend. They're reliable instruments, sure, but in my (very subjective) opinion they lack a lot in terms of character and consistency across the octaves. The older ones I've played (with the round, "swallowed-grape" look) tend to be better. I'd play one and see what you think, of course, but I never developed any real emotional attachment to mine, which to me is the real test.
How dare you criticize Burke?! Never mind, Feadoggie will diss your opinion anyway as he did mine. Never mind, horses for courses i guess. I still stand by my opinion in any case. :)
the artist formerly known as Mr_Blackwood
Mr.Nate
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Mr.Nate »

I would have to second the syn C whistle. It only has a .50 inside bore but it has a nice clear sound and it is easy to get around on. The syn has been my sole C whistle for the last 5-6 years. I also have a B tube that I occasionally use on the same head.

There is a D/C set for 99$ at The Irish flute shop.

http://shop.irishflutestore.com/Irish-Whistles_c4.htm

As for Burkes....well.... : :really: ?
Whistling in the Rockies!!
Sirchronique
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Post by Sirchronique »

I'll third the recommendation for a Syn in C. As I've said on here a few times before, his C and B whistles are extremely good, in my opinion, and also I think highly underrated. It's got a combination of some of the aspects I like in both the Burke and the Sindt, yet also unique from the two in many ways. Full and beefy, but with a good chiff to it and interesting tone. Not only that, but I think it plays nicely as well, and I have no complaints regarding the tuning either!

That being said, I wouldn't recommend anyone against a Burke. Any whistle will be loved and hated by various people. Madmanwithawhistle is right in saying that trying is a good idea to see for yourself what you think. My own opinion on Burkes is now that they make very good high D and low D whistles. Some of the keys in the middle do seem more bland to me at certain times, but it depends on what I'm playing. I do like them , though, but I do at time sense the blandness in those keys. ( I know, they are consistent between keys, etc...). Despite consistency, I think the attributes of certain makes of whistles shine better in some pitches than they do in others. My brass low and high D are good, though. I also like the narrow bore C a lot for many playing situations.

That being said, for C and B whistles, I think the Syns are my favourite whistles in those two keys. Not too expensive in coparison to other high-end whistles, and just as good if not better, if you ask me.
Whistling Archer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rv-Inr90H9A

this is a vid that kinda got me leaning towards the Burke,,,, I like her sound

If this is "pure" other than her intention pushes , here and there, I like pure.
Mr.Nate

Post by Mr.Nate »

Whistling archer,

I guess you will just have to buy the Burke and see how it sounds in your hands.

A wide bore C is an interesting prospect. Gary Humphrey also makes a wide bore C (session) but I heard that he wasn't taking any orders right now until he sells some of his back stock.

From the vid you posted the Burke sounds like it has some nice overtones. I wouldn't call it pure but if you like the sound then I would go for it.

Cheers!

Nate
highwood

Post by highwood »

Whistling Archer wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rv-Inr90H9A

this is a vid that kinda got me leaning towards the Burke,,,, I like her sound

If this is "pure" other than her intention pushes , here and there, I like pure.
that does not sound like any Burke I've heard or played before
“When a Cat adopts you there is nothing to be done about it except put up with it until the wind changes.” T.S. Elliot
Whistling Archer

interesting,,,, I am not a good high whistle player, Im learning,, but I can play the "NA"" Indian" flute,,,whatever you want to call it,, I know on it I do use different pressures intentionally to get "barks" I call them, and different variations of tone, bite etc.

I wonder if this is similar to what this lady is doing to play it smooth,, but also embellish, again just wondering,
the NA flute is too easy,,, as long as you don't overblow , when you shouldn't ,, it just phrasing.

the difficulty of the whistle , is part of what draws me.

decisions , decisions, guess thats part of the fun though.
Mr.Nate

Post by Mr.Nate »

I would have to agree with Highwood...the C whistle in the vid doesn't sound like any Burke I have ever heard.

As for how it plays, I think the Whistling Archer should buy one and send it out on a tour :D

It was the simplicity of the whistle that drew me to the instrument but the complexity of Irish music and whistle techniques that keep me interested. :)

In general I think that buying professional quality whistles from a well known maker is a good investment. Just click the "Buy it now" button! :lol: