Do you [i]Hate[/i] the time change?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

I remember reading somewhere of how a train trip across the US could take you through 11 different timezones in the days before daytimes were standardised.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
I.D.10-t
antispam: No

Post by I.D.10-t »

"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Charlene

Post by Charlene »

Thank you. That is an interesting letter! The article in our local newspaper just alluded to it, they didn't print the whole thing. I always like reading the original for myself so I can make up my own mind.
Charlene
hyldemoer

Post by hyldemoer »

Doug_Tipple wrote:
Where it is really confusing is in towns on the edge of a time zone. In such places on one side of the street it may be an hour earlier than on the opposite side of the street. That was the way it was in the small town where my grandparents lived. It was difficult to plan social events. "What time or you on? Fast time or slow time?", you would hear people ask.
and isn't Ind. special in that respect?
Aren't there some towns within one time zone on the schedule of another?

All of the Peoples' Republic of China is on one time zone http://aa.usno.navy.mil/faq/docs/world_tzones.html though China is big enough to have 5 time zones.

If you're used to arriving at work at 9 AM in Bejing and move a few time zones worth of land west,
the time will still be 9AM but the sun might not have risen yet.
EricWingler

Post by EricWingler »

What about the safety of school aged children? My daughter heads off to school at about 7:10 am. During part of the school year she is walking in the dark. Setting the clocks forward this early in the year puts her back to walking in the dark.

I commute to work by bicycle, so changing the time makes it more dangerous for me to ride even if I do have lights.

I suppose I should reorganize my priorities. Making money (this is what the time change is really about) is more important than human life, right?
Eric Wingler
A Whistling Mathematician
A-Musing

Post by A-Musing »

TIME? HA! You're all delusional! No such fuss, in Eternity.
You-Me-Them-Us-IT. Anything Else?
harpmaker

Post by harpmaker »

I know some people who get all bent out of shape if their clock is more than a minute or two off. My brother sets his by some radio time signal and tends to freak if his clocks loose or gain more than a few seconds a year.

I don't really care much one way or another and pay attention to the time change only if I have to be somewhere the next morning. I may not get around to changing the last of my clocks till later this week.

They are a whole bunch things mnore important than wheteher I loose or gain an hours sleep once a year.
Discussing politics is like having a conversation with the ex. You know that no matter what the subject....it could be as innocent as what you had to eat for lunch....you know that they are going to somehow work your past sins into the conversation
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

harpmaker wrote:I know some people who get all bent out of shape if their clock is more than a minute or two off. My brother sets his by some radio time signal and tends to freak if his clocks loose or gain more than a few seconds a year.
There was this lady who used to gripe because all the clocks in the shop and office told somewhat different times. I told her that if they all told the same time, we'd only need one clock then, wouldn't we. :wink:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
hyldemoer

Post by hyldemoer »

Nanohedron wrote:
harpmaker wrote:I know some people who get all bent out of shape if their clock is more than a minute or two off. My brother sets his by some radio time signal and tends to freak if his clocks loose or gain more than a few seconds a year.
There was this lady who used to gripe because all the clocks in the shop and office told somewhat different times. I told her that if they all told the same time, we'd only need one clock then, wouldn't we. :wink:
My mother-in-law collects antique clocks. They all work. Her house is a constant drone of tick tocks.
If they were all set at the same time we'd never get to hear each clock's chime separately. Set at scattered times they all take turns striking the hour.

Art for art's sake.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

hyldemoer wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:
My mother-in-law collects antique clocks. They all work. Her house is a constant drone of tick tocks.
If they were all set at the same time we'd never get to hear each clock's chime separately. Set at scattered times they all take turns striking the hour.

Art for art's sake.
Absolutely!
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Jack

Post by Jack »

Nanohedron wrote:
hyldemoer wrote:
Nanohedron wrote: There was this lady who used to gripe because all the clocks in the shop and office told somewhat different times. I told her that if they all told the same time, we'd only need one clock then, wouldn't we. :wink:

Art for art's sake.
Absolutely!
I used to have a friend who was mortally terrified to be in a room with more than one clock. But it was not just any clocks that scared her: she could be in a room with a thousand digital clocks and she was fine. No, it was ticking clocks which scared her. She could handle one at a time. But if you put her in a room with two clocks which ticked, she'd freak out, lose her breath, claim she had chest pains, and would try her damndest to get out of the room. It was strange, and I had pity for her. I haven't spoken to her in a long time. This thread made me realize perhaps I should.