The Village

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
franfriel
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by franfriel »

I loved the flick - Howard, Hurt and Brody were wonderful. It's great to go to a movie that doesn't insult your intelligence and that doesn't constantly assualt your senses with gratuitous special effects. My husband who is a movie buff and a crazed critic even liked it.

And Steven, how cool your wife was an extra. Sorry you didn't get to see her though. I went to college in Philly and oh how I miss the Cheese Steak Subs! :sniffle:

Peace,
Fran
8)

PS - I thought I Robot was very good, as well. Though, I wish they'd let Will just act and not have to do funny Will-like stuff.
An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth creates a world that is blind and toothless - Ghandi

I suspect blind and toothless may not be optimum for good whistle playing...but then again...
Steven

Post by Steven »

franfriel wrote:I went to college in Philly and oh how I miss the Cheese Steak Subs! :sniffle:
Cool, what school? And was it recent (ie, might I know some folks who were there about the same time)? I guess it couldn't have been TOO recently, since you don't say cheese steak hoagies any more!

:P
Steven
franfriel

Post by franfriel »

Hi Steven,

I grew up in Maryland where we eat subs. Sorry for the old language seeping through. Now I'm in CT where we eat grinders. Go figure.

I went to the New School of Music way, way back when it was still at 21st and Spruce. Now our concert hall is someone's garage complex. Ugh! Some folks used to call New School Curtis prep. :) The New School of Music later merged with Temple Univ.

The last place I lived in Philly as a student was above a bar at 21st and South Sts. Quite a neighborhood in those days. :wink: We moved to Upper Darby for a couple of years then north to NY at West Point. I guess my life has been like a pub crawl north (with a little field trip for real pub activity to England for a couple of years).

What are you doin' in Philly - "the city of brotherly love"?

Peace,
Fran
8)
An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth creates a world that is blind and toothless - Ghandi

I suspect blind and toothless may not be optimum for good whistle playing...but then again...
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

As to protective parents, Tony, let's see: They took me to see Psycho when I was about 8 on a thunderstorm night in a spooky place in the mountains (I still shower with one eye open); favorite aunt taught me to swim by throwing me in under the waterfalls when I was 5; Dad took off the training wheels and pushed me down a hill. Still here, despite others' more serious attempts...

As to the movie, my 15 year old daughter saw it yesterday and thought it was so bad that it was saved by being unintentionally funny...But she has become a tad smug upon her return from Europe...

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

As to protective parents, Tony, let's see: They took me to see Psycho when I was about 8 on a thunderstorm night in a spooky place in the mountains (I still shower with one eye open); favorite aunt taught me to swim by throwing me in under the waterfalls when I was 5; Dad took off the training wheels and pushed me down a hill. Still here, despite others' more serious attempts...

As to the movie, my 15 year old daughter saw it yesterday and thought it was so bad that it was saved by being unintentionally funny...But she has become a tad smug upon her return from Europe...

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

TonyHiggins wrote: We were never so protective of our own kids and they've done fine. My daughter, 16, was watching a documentary on poltergeists when she was younger and asked me worriedly if it was real. I could only say that I've never encountered anything like that, but a lot of people believe it's true. Bad answer?
No, I think that's the perfect answer Tony. I've never encountered this sort of stuff myself either but I know people who say they have, and read plenty of stories. I think it's far more impotant to be honest, even if it's an honest "I don't know", than to shield kids by lying.

Of course, I'm not a parent.
katshan
antispam: No

The Village - review

Post by katshan »

I am a parent & my 20 yr. old son saw the movie and said it was mindless and the height of stupidity. He just rolled his eyes and couldn't believe it. The pre-release propaganda was enticing, so he saw the movie with a friend, they both gave it two thumbs DOWN..... Thought it was pure rubbish. One of many good things about being a parent, is that you have your own built in movie critics when they get old enough! You don't have to waste your time and money seeing bad movies. Ha! :lol:
blackhawk
antispam: No

Post by blackhawk »

I saw this movie last week, not expecting much, but I really enjoyed it. It's a totally original idea (lawsuit pending, of course), well written, directed and acted and even though I was expecting a surprise at the end, I wasn't expecting THAT. Excellent movie. And for the record, I loved Sixth Sense, hated, Unbreakable, loved Signs.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
SilverStrand

Post by SilverStrand »

I saw it on opening night....I was a bit disappointed because I was expecting too much out of this film, I guess. I was hoping for something really SCARY to happen, and it just doesn't...and he tricks you into thinking that something really scary is about to happen and it doesn't so you're left with this disappointment at the end of the film.

Enough of the disappointment...it was, however, rather interesting. I still think he's a brilliant director.
"Block out the Sun and Pack up the Sky"