Do you ever read the banner ads?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
missy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Do you ever read the banner ads?

Post by missy »

I love seeing what banner ads pop up on threads. The one about "Happy 4th of July" had things such as "download patriotic music". The one on the comet has "our solar system". The one on having kids just had a link to "save endangered wildlife". Amar's tattoo just had about message boards - I guess there wasn't a good match for it! Tyghress' thread has a link to a pet tiger for sale.

Anyway, it may just be my weird sense of humor (humour for you across the pond), but take a look at what shows up every once in a while.
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
izzarina

Re: Do you ever read the banner ads?

Post by izzarina »

missy wrote:The one on having kids just had a link to "save endangered wildlife".
That one's mine....I'm asking for donations for the "wildlife" here at Casa Izz :wink:
Seriously, some of them are quite humorous. Do they change depending on each post within a thread? If I were to say something about President Bush and the sex scandal, would it have something appropriate up above?

Edited to say, nope it didn't. Oh well, I tried :wink:
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
OutOfBreath

Post by OutOfBreath »

No
John
-------
The Internet is wonderful. Surely there have always been thousands of people deeply concerned about my sex life and the quality of my septic tank but before the Internet I never heard from any of them.
djm

Post by djm »

I'm guessing some of it works on key words that an advertiser pays for a connection with, similar to the way search engines work. If you want your own personal web site to come up in certain searches, you cram as many related words as you can think of in the meta tags of the home page. Search engines pick these up and spew pages forth based on many of these key words.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
FJohnSharp
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

We have banner ads?
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony