Pub talk

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
jsluder
antispam: No

Pub talk

Post by jsluder »

I recently bought a bottle of Hobgoblin ale (by Wychwood Brewery, in the UK), mainly 'cause I liked the bottle. :roll:

I finally got around to drinking it yesterday, and I must say I really liked it. Good, strong flavor without being too bitter. Highly recommended.

:thumbsup:

(Hey, this is the Pub...)
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
The Weekenders
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by The Weekenders »

Well, since many of you live back East, may I recommend a trip to the Salem Beer Works in Salem, Mass.? They have a few award-winning concotions there that made my evening. Great atmosphere.

Man, oh man, do they have a fine selection of ales.....really GOOD food, too. My little guy ordered a "make it up yourself" pizza, and got pesto, pepperoni and cheese and finished the whole thing, a first for him.

http://www.beerworks.net/html/locations_salem.html

We have good brew pubs out here in CA, but this place was a stand-out in my book.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

ooo yes, that's a very nice ale, my style. ;)
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Re: Pub talk

Post by SteveShaw »

jsluder wrote:I recently bought a bottle of Hobgoblin ale (by Wychwood Brewery, in the UK), mainly 'cause I liked the bottle. :roll:

I finally got around to drinking it yesterday, and I must say I really liked it. Good, strong flavor without being too bitter. Highly recommended.

Yep. Good stuff. There are quite a few good beers in pint bottles these days. Summer Lightning...Old Speckled Hen...Clouded Yellow...London Pride...Morrison's supermarket are selling these and more in any combination at £5 for four. :)

Steve
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
TomB

Post by TomB »

jsluder wrote:I recently bought a bottle of Hobgoblin ale (by Wychwood Brewery, in the UK), mainly 'cause I liked the bottle. :roll:

I'll have to be on the lookout for it.

Quite the coincidence that you just happen to have a glass with the name of the Ale on it. :roll:

All the Best, Tom
Last edited by TomB on Mon Jul 25, 2005 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Consult the Book of Armaments"
TomB

Post by TomB »

The Weekenders wrote:Well, since many of you live back East, may I recommend a trip to the Salem Beer Works in Salem, Mass.? They have a few award-winning concotions there that made my evening. Great atmosphere.

Man, oh man, do they have a fine selection of ales.....really GOOD food, too. My little guy ordered a "make it up yourself" pizza, and got pesto, pepperoni and cheese and finished the whole thing, a first for him.

We have good brew pubs out here in CA, but this place was a stand-out in my book.
YIKES! Yet another thing we agree on Weeks. They have great ales. I particularly like their amber and their nut brown ales.

Tom
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

TomB wrote:Quite the coincidence that you just happen to have a glass with the name of the Ale on it. :roll:
Heh. I wish I did. I like that hobgoblin on the label. :D

I found the Hobgoblin ale at the Red House Beer & Wine Shoppe and Tapas Bar in Renton, WA (south of Seattle). They have an amazing selection of beers (and wines) from around the world.
We have an ever-growing selection of 400+ beers with emphasis on beers with character.

Choose from Pale Ales, India Pale Ales, Barleywines, Stouts and more, many from the Northwest and around the world, including a wide array of Belgian brews.
Oh yeah, the food is good, too. :)
amar

Post by amar »

this here is the closest thing we have in switzerland that's closest to an ale, and it's quite good too!
http://www.feldschloesschen.ch/de/10/dunkleperle.htm
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

TomB wrote:
The Weekenders wrote:Well, since many of you live back East, may I recommend a trip to the Salem Beer Works in Salem, Mass.? They have a few award-winning concotions there that made my evening. Great atmosphere.

YIKES! Yet another thing we agree on Weeks. They have great ales. I particularly like their amber and their nut brown ales.

Tom
I had their IPA, the other Weekender had the watermelon one (not my thing, but intriguing). I also had a Belgian-style ale, can't remember name right now that was outstanding. Nothin' like leavin a place abuzz on high quality suds and good eats.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

amar wrote:this here is the closest thing we have in switzerland that's closest to an ale, and it's quite good too!
Dunkle Perle. I'll have to see if Red House has it. Thanks, amar!
amar

Post by amar »

jsluder wrote:
amar wrote:this here is the closest thing we have in switzerland that's closest to an ale, and it's quite good too!
Dunkle Perle. I'll have to see if Red House has it. Thanks, amar!
my pleasure. :)
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

SteveShaw wrote:There are quite a few good beers in pint bottles these days. Summer Lightning...Old Speckled Hen...Clouded Yellow...London Pride...
Are these dark ales, or light? When it comes to beer, I'm definitely into the power of the Dark Side. :wink:
TomB

Post by TomB »

The Weekenders wrote:
TomB wrote:

Tom
I had their IPA, the other Weekender had the watermelon one (not my thing, but intriguing). I also had a Belgian-style ale, can't remember name right now that was outstanding. Nothin' like leavin a place abuzz on high quality suds and good eats.
Yep, I hear you. My wife doesn't like ales, so it's nice to be at a place that has lager, also.

Maybe you tried the Accelerator Double Bock? I have not had that one. There are a lot of good looking brews to choose from there, in my opinion.

All the Best, Tom
amar

Post by amar »

jsluder wrote:
SteveShaw wrote:There are quite a few good beers in pint bottles these days. Summer Lightning...Old Speckled Hen...Clouded Yellow...London Pride...
Are these dark ales, or light? When it comes to beer, I'm definitely into the power of the Dark Side. :wink:
same here bud. (as in buddy) :D
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

amar wrote:
jsluder wrote:
same here bud. (as in buddy) :D
"Budweiser... Put it back into the Clydesdales." :twisted: