Doug's octave fiddle-a new folk instrument?

Our first forum for instruments you don't blow.
CelloDog
antispam: No

Post by CelloDog »

As a cellist who's frequently encountered the "wrong key" problems of the CGDA cello, I'm very interested in this subject, but I could not find any thing about the fiddle or the cello on the webpage you linked to :-?
Any clues??
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

CelloDog wrote:As a cellist who's frequently encountered the "wrong key" problems of the CGDA cello, I'm very interested in this subject, but I could not find any thing about the fiddle or the cello on the webpage you linked to :-?
Any clues??
Check the bottom of this page.
http://home.earthlink.net/~life2all/dou ... e/id3.html
CelloDog

Post by CelloDog »

Doug, thanks this is very interesting. I was thinking a 5 string cello (with an added E string) would solve the problem. They do exist and have since the 16th century (Bach's sixth suite is written for one). You can also play fiddle music on the cello by using "thumb position" a fairly advanced technique.
I think your solution is simpler and makes a lot of sense. Does the guitar e string sound ok? I think there may be a better alternative.
Doug
CelloDog

Post by CelloDog »

I knew there was a cello e string out there; Spirocore makes one. You can find it at: http://www.cellos2go.com/strings.htm

Doug
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

CelloDog wrote: Does the guitar e string sound ok? I think there may be a better alternative.
Doug
Yes, the guitar string E plays fast and sounds great. The spiracore E string that you referred to is for a full size cello. Even though it could easily be shortened, it wouldn't be the correct diameter and density for the much smaller 1/4 size cello.