Woo-hoo!

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
benhall.1
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Re: Woo-hoo!

Post by benhall.1 »

Grade V would be 14 to 15 year olds as a rule, I would say. Having said which, it has to be said that the majority of youngsters who start on the grades on an instrument probably give up (or at least don't do the grades any more) somewhere around Grades III - V. Few would go on to Grades VI, VII and VIII, which the ABRSM refer to as the 'Higher Grades'.

The only youngsters at the exam centre when I did my Grade V the other week were a couple of boys around 17, one doing Grade VII violin and the other doing Grade VII cello. There would have been other people taking exams earlier in the day, I guess, but mine was the last exam of the day.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

benhall.1 wrote:Basically, the total available marks is 150. A pass is 100, a merit is 120 and a distinction is 130.

Was that what you were asking?
That part was. What does 150 get you? A sure gig with the Philharmonic? :)
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.

Post by benhall.1 »

I would think if you got anywhere like 140 or above you'd probably have done the wrong grade and ought to have done the grade above.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

benhall.1 wrote:I would think if you got anywhere like 140 or above you'd probably have done the wrong grade and ought to have done the grade above.
Oh, interesting. I can see the sense in that.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
radcliff
Tell us something.: in two words, Rudall & Rose. but since a minimum of 100 characters is required, I should list a number of makers I found extremely interesting… I don't even know how much are 100 characters...

Post by radcliff »

Denny wrote:are ya as good as a 14yr old yet? :tomato:
I'm pretty sure than a lot of 14YO are far better than me.... sigh
BigDavy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by BigDavy »

Hi benhall.1

Congrats on your success.

Next thing now is to have a go at the senior flute competitions at your nearest fleadh - probably the Midlands Fleadh.

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
toughknot
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by toughknot »

Congratulations.
I shall never bitter be so long as I can laugh at me.
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

BigDavy wrote:Hi benhall.1

Congrats on your success.

Next thing now is to have a go at the senior flute competitions at your nearest fleadh - probably the Midlands Fleadh.

David
Really? I've kind of thought that that sort of thing may be beyond me. Or, more possibly, that I may be (in years) a bit beyond it. :lol:
Kirk B
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Kirk B »

benhall.1 wrote:
If you get less than thsoe minima on any one thing - so, say, if you totally and utterly mess up one of the pieces - then you fail, whatever your overall mark may be.
Wow that's tough, even the headmaster from "The Wall" gave them a shot at redemption. "Wrooooo-ooooong! do it again!" :)

Congrats Ben!

Cheers,

Kirk