No Class

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

No Class

Post by djm »

I tried this out on the ITM forum but got no takers. I have noticed that there are several people on this forum making reference to classical music, so I'm hoping someone here can help me identify this tune (I don't know classical stuff at all). This is only a rough approximation to what I heard. Its sung by two ladies and I can't make out the language they're singing in. Any help appreciated.

X:1
T:sung duet thingy
R:waltzish
M:3/4
K:C
L:1/8
z[G5E5] | [FD] [GE] [AF] z3 | z[G5E5] | [FD] [GE] [AF]z3 |[GE] [AF] [GE] [AF] [GE] [AF] |
[BG] [cA] [BG] [cA] [BG] [AF] | [GE] [AF] [GE] [AF] [GE] [AF] | [GE] [FD] [E2C2] [G2E2] | [D5B,5]z :||

Thx,

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
thurlowe

Post by thurlowe »

I can't read ABC. But I feel bold enough to make a guess, based on the other things you indicated: classical, 3/4 or 6/8, and two sopranos singing in another language. It could be the aria "Viens, Mallika," also known as the Flower Duet, from the opera "Lakme" by Leo Delibes. It's sung in French. Here's a link to a CD on Amazon with the track: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... l&n=507846

It's track 4. Am I right? Huh? Am I?

Cara :)
djm

Post by djm »

Wow, you nailed it first try, Cara. Thx for that.

BTW, you don't need to know ABC. You can cut and paste the code into here and get sheet music plus a midi file back: http://www.concertina.net/tunes_convert.html

djm
thurlowe

Post by thurlowe »

Well I can say I got something right today. Happy to do that anytime.

By the way, if you get a CD with the aria, you might be fooled at first when cueing up the track. The duet comes in after a minute or two of introduction (recitative), where Lakme is talking to her maid, Mallika. "Viens, Mallika," is her saying, "Get your ass over here, Mallika." (not really. she's all in sappy in love and stuff.)
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Well, I'm sure impressed, thurlowe! I went and listened to it and it is very beautiful. I'm glad you got your answer, djm.
djm

Post by djm »

Now to play it as a flute/UP duet in B! :boggle:

djm
AaronMalcomb
antispam: No

Post by AaronMalcomb »

Very impressive, Cara. I don't care much for opera but that piece is a favorite of mine though I'll admit that may due to the fact I first heard it as an adolescent while viewing "The Hunger." :oops:

Cheers,
Aaron