Flute cases

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Kate Dowling
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Flute cases

Post by Kate Dowling »

I have a case that came with my flute with what I consider to be inferior interior outfitting. The exterior is fine and the hinges/locks are fine.

What I have in mind is custom crafting a foam-like interior that perfectly fits my flute, then covering it in velvet or silk or the like.

Does anyone have experience with this? For example, what kind of padding do I use - perhaps I should not use foam rubber? Any recommendations you have regarding materials would be most welcome.

Also, I saw this flute case online at finecases.com and thought it might work for toting around a flute and tin whistle. Anyone have experience with these cases? ProTec A-302/MT Metro Flute Carry-All Bag

Thanks!
Tommy
antispam: No

Post by Tommy »

I have heard of some pepole that use a camera case. The kind that the foam takes the shape of what ever you put in it. Are you close to Cottage Grove Mn.
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
andrewK

Post by andrewK »

The best cases I have seen are the Hudson ones which he made so carefully and cunningly that one has to turn the joint a little to withdraw it.
God knows how he did it.
pandscarr
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by pandscarr »

Cases for 8-key flutes seems to be a perennial problem - it would be great if someone would start a business making cases for our kinds of flutes!

Both of my 19th century flutes came with loose fitting cases - one case is light and fantastic, but not coping with everyday wear and tear. The other is a wooden box which fits too loose for the flute, so that it has to be propped up with bits of cardboard... and neither case fits the other flute!
Little Impulse by Brian Finnegan

...not all who wander are lost...
andrewK

Post by andrewK »

I have made enquiries about getting cases made ( I hope cheaply ) out of very beautiful wood. More for storage than outside use.
Tom O'Farrell

Post by Tom O'Farrell »

And would'nt it be just hunky dory happyworld if the case makers were to recognize the humidification issue with wood instead of pretending it does'nt exist. But of course we'll be told it's too expensive or too low-demand to be viable.
Tom O'Farrell.
www.tomofarrell.ca
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

What are the ideal conditions for storing a wood instrument. I am guessing not to dry and not to moist but just right. So tell me what is just right. I live very close to the Gulf of Mexico and we have very high humidity and it makes things rust. I keed my good tools in a sheet metal box with a small light bulb to keep out moisture. That is most likely to dry for a wood instrument. And what ever means a pet shop has to keep it's reptiles comfortable would be to humid. The next thing I think of that also needs controled humidity is cigars. I am not trying to make humor of this. I belive there could be a way for a box to have controled humdity.
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
tin tin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Post by tin tin »

This should keep you busy... :)
http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... t=humidity
Basically, you can control the humidy of the whole room with either a humidifier or a dehumidifier, or you can control the humidity in/around the case. A humidifier in the case usually doesn't work very well, as air flow is very limited, but I keep my flute case in a large ziplock bag with a damp sponge. The hygrometer in the case reads 70% with this set-up.
Kate Dowling

Post by Kate Dowling »

Thank you for your thoughts.

Materials? Anything any of you closet chemists can tell me that I should avoid?

Humidity is a concern, but it is not my primary concern in this particular instance as I too keep my home humidified and keep my case in a plastic bag with a sponge. (I live in a very dry climate in the winter time). Going from house, to car, to pub, to car ... you get the picture... I do want something that will keep it pretty secure.
tin tin
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Post by tin tin »

Kate,
I use a Doskosport/Doskocil plastic pistol case with lumpy foam padding inside. When I go to a new session for the first time, people sometimes think I'm planning on providing a drone with a driller, but it's a sturdy and secure case, and they can be had very cheaply (I bought one for $8 once). Classier looking aluminum pistol cases are also available, and Hammy Hamilton sells a good plastic case. I think he also sells the beautiful French-style wood/leather/velvet cases, but they cost around $200.
Nelson

Post by Nelson »

I just got a $3500 wooden flute and I would carry it nothing but a $5 ($8 postage) pistol case. The case weighs nothing and has egg-crate wavie foam inside top and bottom. No concave cutout for the pieces. A film can with a piece of spunge in it soaked in water and wee holes in the lid does the trick for humidity control.
Nelson
Terry McGee

Post by Terry McGee »

One of my Texan customers tells me thay they carry their flutes in pistol cases so as not to arouse suspicion.

Terry
eedbjp
Tell us something.: Been on this forum for many years, just getting back into it agin in 2019.. Tried many flutes and whistles, but keep coming back to the fundamentals!

Post by eedbjp »

I use a Flambeau pistol case which I bought for 10 dollars.
Kate Dowling

Post by Kate Dowling »

RE: Pistol cases. Yes, I have seen people using these. They don't really appeal to my aesthetic. I like the wooden cases, yet I will keep the pistol case construction design in mind.

What I really want to do is re-outfit the inner workings on my existing wooden flute case.
lesl
Tell us something.: Hello, I'm Lesl, I teach and play Irish flute. Just updating my web address. Thank you for reading this!

Re: Flute cases

Post by lesl »

Kate Dowling wrote:...Anyone have experience with these cases? ProTec A-302/MT Metro Flute Carry-All Bag ...
Hi Kate, I have a 2nd hand pro tech case. Mine looks like the "Protec
Slimline Pro Pac Flute Case". I like it a lot, though I removed the velcro
around the handle to reduce bulk. The shaping stuff (like you I dont'
know what it is) under the inside soft velvety cloth was adjusted for me,
to fit a wooden flute. Patr. Olwell might know what it is.

You might get hold of an old student Boehm flute case if you find one
cheap, and then take out the velveteen and use what's under it to go into
your own case, re-cover it etc.