Silver and Inflation

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Casey Burns
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Silver and Inflation

Post by Casey Burns »

This is ridiculous. Silver is now over $40/oz this morning. My last silver thread, started in February, was when Silver went above $30. I purchased some for flute rings at $30.11 and now the cost is 33% higher in just 2 months. 14 months ago I bought silver at $14.78/oz. This represents a 271% increase in price for the last 14 months. Silver used to trade around $4/oz until about a decade ago.

Everything else is going up. A bag of modest groceries, gasoline, Blackwood and other woods. The sandpaper I use is now over $1 a sheet.

Silver is going up in part due to increased demand for it industrially, its use as an inflation hedge, as well as perhaps some mania. However, its price was also suppressed by J. P. Morgan and now that that cat is out of the bag, its price is adjusting. Add to this Quantitative Easing 3, the economic impact of the megathrust earthquake in Japan, and the looming US government shutdown over the budget, and no wonder it and everything else is going up and the purchasing power of fiat currencies are headed downward. Gold is trading at a record as well. Many are predicting Silver to go above $50 by summer.

Eventually I will have to raise prices on my flutes. Have just started doing so, by no longer "discounting" Mopane. My Mopane flutes are now the same cost as Blackwood and Boxwood. When Silver hits $50 I'll probably raise my rings and slide prices. I raised my key prices years ago to prepare for this, so these will remain unchanged. But as the dollar erodes, I might have to raise the prices of everything.

Am curious what other makers are planning to do.

Casey
Denny
antispam: No

Re: Silver and Inflation

Post by Denny »

Casey Burns wrote:Everything else is going up.
price of diesel, if nothin' else...
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
crookedtune
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by crookedtune »

Well, at least the value of the things we already have is dropping. That should help balance it all out.

Also, things may change this weekend. Gee, I wish the mods would unlock that old forum.... :cry:
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
Denny

Post by Denny »

the ice is somewhat thin, innit
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
dcopley

Post by dcopley »

Casey Burns wrote: Am curious what other makers are planning to do.

Casey
I was thinking of investing my life savings in silver, which will cause the price to plummet within days after the investment and stay down there until a day or two after I sell it all again. That strategy has worked reliably for me on a wide variety of investments over the years.

As far as flute pricing goes, I don't see any alternative to raising prices soon to cover increasing silver cost. I've been using up existing stocks and delaying the re-stocking as long as possible, but that can't go on much longer. I still don't see any good substitute for silver keys, though I may have to offer an alternative if prices keep going up.
Dave Copley
Loveland, Ohio
www.copleyflutes.com
Casey Burns

Post by Casey Burns »

Thanks Dave,

I've noticed similar price fluctuations - usually silver plunges in price the day after I mail all of my silver scrap in for rendering. But this last time and in February 2010, I bought some at the bottom. Just no where near enough. Had I maxed out a few credit cards a purchased some for investment, I could have paid off the credit cards, and tripled my investment - and paid off my daughter's student loans perhaps. But then, few were predicting it would go parabolic.

I am loath to change my prices as the current ones have worked well. Raising them would seem to discourage some from purchasing. However, what is odd is that when I have raised prices in the past, I usually get a flurry of new orders. At a certain point, however, the cost of living will require that I raise them and that day is about now.

Casey
Casey Burns

Post by Casey Burns »

Its 9:30 AM PDT and Silver keeps going up - its at $40.53 already. If this continues, we could see $50 silver in May. Yikes!

This must be really annoying to the modern flute makers who work entirely in precious metals.

($50 might even be sooner - Silver closed at $40.95 for the weekend. Am hoping it corrects next week but it won't if there is no budget deal. Will probably just keep going up, along with everything else.)
Last edited by Casey Burns on Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Buy Silver now gentleman: There may be a minor correction here and there, but Silver could very well be $100 and ounce by this time next year, or sooner.
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

dcopley wrote: I was thinking of investing my life savings in silver, which will cause the price to plummet within days after the investment and stay down there until a day or two after I sell it all again. That strategy has worked reliably for me on a wide variety of investments over the years.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ... :(

I so share your pain. Thanks for giving me at least a moment's relief.
Good luck at the fleadh!
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Sigurthr
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Sigurthr »

I invested $400 into physical silver bullion at the start of the new year and as of today it is worth $600. I'm really wishing I had bought way more back then, or even better bought all that much last year when it was $15/oz!

I've noticed a few makers of precious metal Böhm flutes raising prices slightly so far. In general high end headjoints were about $1200-$1400, now I'm seeing the same ones as $1300+.

This increase in prices is one of the reasons why I made a big push to get my intermediate flute then instead of waiting until I absolutely needed to, if I were to wait too long I wouldn't be able to afford it when I need it!
My Flutes:
James Galway JG3 Spirit Flute
Gemeinhardt 2sp Student Flute w/ Custom Series S Headjoint
19c Antique German Orchestral Flute - Huller/Lyon-Healy/Meyer 13 key - "Frankenflute"
Aulos A440 Grenser Traverso

Baroque, Classical, Trad - I play it all.
toughknot

Post by toughknot »

Local coin dealers sell silver dollar coins "culls" , "slicks", "junk" which have no collectable value. I've known a few jewlers that buy them and melt them down.
Maybe a slightly cheaper route.
Or not.
I shall never bitter be so long as I can laugh at me.
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

Is there a point when gold-plated brass becomes a more economical option than sterling - at least for the showy bits? And is plain old brass a reasonable option?

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

crookedtune wrote:Also, things may change this weekend. Gee, I wish the mods would unlock that old forum.... :cry:
We're thinking about shutting down the Chiffboard at midnight tonight unless our demands are met. We're not exactly sure what our demands are, but we're not going to let that stop us.

[ Yes, folks, that's humor, not an invitation to discussion. :wink: ]
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

After reading this thread, when I saw a fork in the road I actually stopped to have a look at it.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Steve Bliven wrote:Is there a point when gold-plated brass becomes a more economical option than sterling - at least for the showy bits? And is plain old brass a reasonable option?

Best wishes.

Steve
Yes, the question arises--are there functional less expensive alternatives? I believe brass has sometimes been used.
Also if silver becomes still more expensive, functional equally expensive alternatives?