on eBAY: Willie Rowsome Bb Set for Sale - ca. 1905

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Joseph E. Smith
antispam: No

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

There's an idea! :D

I am really wanting a flat pitch set, but that will have to wait until after I have graduated from school, finish building (or having built actually) a cocobolo set by David Boisvert...oh yeah, and after having plied my wife with many boxes of chocolate, a new car, a home in the Hamptons and a winning lottery ticket.

I'll get there...but I may be old and grey by then. Actually, the grey has begun to invade the chin whiskers already....sigh.
Jim McGuire

Post by Jim McGuire »

New listing - new price - $6,500 (USD)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... RK:MESE:IT
glands
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by glands »

Jim, check your private message. Lewis
Dionys

Post by Dionys »

Is someone trying to avoid Ebay fees, or offering a smaller amount? ;)

Dionys
Tir gan teanga <--> Tir gan Anam.
Jim McGuire

Post by Jim McGuire »

The set is available for examination.
glands

Post by glands »

Willie Rowsome had a lot of charisma in that photograph.
Last edited by glands on Wed Aug 25, 2004 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim McGuire

Post by Jim McGuire »

Please clarify to the board that NO price had been set between us, NO appointment (time,place) had been made aside from telling me that you wanted to come up this weekend, and that I agreed to keep listing the set until then (and that was also suggested by yourself, unprompted by me).

I DID reply to the e-mail address that you asked me to reply to today on short notice (not the PM thru Chiff) telling me that you were arriving in a few hours but with no details like flight times or flight numbers. I had provided my address and phone to you earlier in the week, as well.

I intended to follow the 'rules of eBAY' and not sell the set privately with an auction running for the same item. The intent was to have no auction active for this item on when you were examining the set.

In any event, auctions are not for everyone.
glands

Post by glands »

Thanks to Jim for finding the WR set.
Last edited by glands on Wed Aug 25, 2004 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Maybe conducting the details in private is the better option. :roll:
leremarkable

Post by leremarkable »

Absolutely agree, Peter.
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

glands wrote:No, in fact, I've made it clear that I am interested in these pipes AND that I will not buy or sell pipes on eBay.

I had hoped to fly to Chicago when the set was for sale at $7500....perfectly willing to consider purchase at that price if they met my objective criteria for investment. I want a set that works...not a set that is historic and looks good on the table top. An examination would be required before I'd shell out that kind of money for a set. I did not wish to spend the money on airfare while the pipes were on auction lest they be sold out from under my nose after purchase of an airfare.

I hoped they would not be reposted on eBay until I could visit. I was told that if they did not sell on eBay that they would be made available to me and on eBay for $7250. Instead, they appeared on eBay for three days listed at $7000.

Hoping to get them off of eBay so I could visit to play the set, I considered an offer to send a deposit to "secure an examination." I decided against that approach and that it was best to risk purchase of an airfare and fly than to risk a deposit. I'm sure Jim is a fine person but I've never met him and I could not see sending what I had planned to be several thousand dollars to a stranger I knew only by electronic means.

So, in preparation for a visit to Chicago this week, I called Brad Angus who was somewhat helpful yet elusive. He kept referring to the set as "old." He indicated that "parts were missing," that he had to use a steel wire brush to get dirt and dust out of the bores, that he was ultimately able to reed the instrument...but not sure they are working now that it is summer as he finished with it in the spring. When I asked about whether the set leaked excesively he said "don't all pipes leak?" Well, honestly, my functional sets don't...least not that I can tell. Brad indicated that he felt the mainstock was not original. I know Jim is researching this issue.

Despite the red flags, when the set went off auction, I wrote a PM to Jim this morn offering to get on an airplane today to come visit and try out the set. I felt that I just had to see it for myself. My intent was to write a check for $7000 if the set met my standards....of course, keep in mind I was ready to purchase when at the $7500 level if the set was functional and playable as stated in the advertisement. At first, a week ago, I had contemplated and mentioned about agreeing on a purchase but delaying final transaction until the end of August but I was prepared (which means approval of the wife) to do it today. Imagine my surprise when I noted the set was back on eBay but now for $6500....and I had not heard from Jim whether a visit was possible today. Thus, I posted to ask him to check his private message. He posted on this board indicating the set is available for examination after my post to request to check the PM. Thus, I am confident of the likelihood that he received my message. Now, many hours later, and at a time when it is too late to plan to go to Chicago today, I have still not heard anything from Jim via my work e-mail, home e-mail, or PM function of this site. I realize that a spur of the moment visit was not likely to be possible as Jim may have had other plans. But, I had hoped to hear one way or another.

So, you'll see that I'm not attempting to avoid eBay fees or offer less for the set. I'm just a man who loves pipes, wants to have the opportunity to own and play a historic set made by the great grandfather of one of my friends, and have been attempting to evaluate a potential purchase in a way such that I do not prove the old adage that "a fool and his money are soon to part."

I think this auction may finally be interesting. The price listed is such that it should start to bring parties who have contemplated purchase out in the open. Not me, though, I do not buy pipes on eBay.

I've thought about this issue too much over the past week and today's events lead me to wonder about a lot of things.

Jim, I write to publicly apologize and to to clarify in the event that I was misunderstood.

I wrote this early this morn indicating I could come today and waited for you to reply. I had your tel # on the computer at home in a secured file so that I am the only one with access, with no access to the info from work, or else I would have called this morn. I suggested that if you would meet me and that I could indeed come I would go to the airport and purchase a ticket and then let you know immediately when to expect me. The flight is 1.5 h and you would have had notice of me arriving at Midway late this afternoon if you would have agreed in the first place. I realize this is perhaps quite rude and assuming as well as pretentious on my part and I sincerely apologize. I was waiting for your reply before taking action and you did not offer a reply, thus the trip never could happen even though I wanted it. Truth is, we had a very light clinic today and I saw an opportunity first thing this morn to get out of the office early. Called my wife, she was in agreement, and I contacted you. If you indeed did reply then your e-mail reply never came through. I left the hospital at 3PM and checked the e-mail on the way out.

Of course we never agreed on a price for the set of pipes. I made the simple assumption, and once again, I apologize for doing so, that if the set was listed for $7500, did not sell at auction, and if I offered you $7500 that you would take that amount. My next assumption was that if the set was listed at $7000 and no bids were registered that you would be prepared to take that amount. Are you trying to say that you would have wanted more than the amount I could have gotten it for if I were the sole bidder on eBay???? When you had no bidders????? Perhaps I do not understand how the auction system works or what your expectations might be. No bids at $7000 usually implies potential buyers do not think the set worth that amount.

I had hoped that by contacting you this morning I would provide you with an opportunity to sell the set privately without relisting on eBay and me the opportunity to purchase without eBay auction. I did imply that I would not pay a deposit to examine the set, after serious consideration, and suggested you list it as planned and that is why I waited until this first three day auction had expired to contact you about a trip today. I guess I expected that you would hold off on relisting if I was going to ride a jet to Chicago today. Again, I apologize for making an assumption and expecting that. You would have clearly known by 5PM today if I was going to buy the set and could have relisted by then. In my opinion, you seem to be a little too anxious to move the set. I would have thought that you would have taken advantage of having a serious buyer in your fingertips so to speak. As I see it, you fumbled away a serious potential buyer and perhaps several thousand dollars as well.

Sorry for the misunderstandings and miscommunications. This is clearly an example where one man's willingness to sell something one eBay and another's willingness to not purchase something such as pipes on eBay has prevented them from coming together.

What it boils down to, Jim, is that they are your pipes and you have every right to sell them as you please and to whom you please. I wish you the very best on he sale of the set. I hope that the set will provide someone with many years of pleasure derived from ownership.
Man...you've got to stop self-destructing, Blevins! :wink:
Dionys

Post by Dionys »

No kidding..

I, however, think it's fascinating to see peoples's train of thought written out in the open. Even if it's better done in private, it's fascinating when it's not. I guess it's all a part of being a writer.

Dionys
Tir gan teanga <--> Tir gan Anam.
Kevin L. Rietmann

Post by Kevin L. Rietmann »

I thought that doctors were supposed to be confidential...
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

Agree with Dionys here - always interesting to see a potential buyer's thoughts regarding an eventual purchase, in this case, parts of a historic set. Also interesting that this Rowsome/Angus set hasn't been snapped up as of yet. The W. Rowsome parts were purchased in September 2003 for under 4.000 dollars, and Brad has made a new chanter, I believe Brad charges around 1.400 dollars for a chanter, plus extra for keys, reeds, reeding, leatherwork, and getting the sticks cleaned and into shape, so even at 7.500, the seller can't be making a massive profit. As the set isn't completely original I'd doubt it'll be of interest to a collector, but if it's functioning well in Bb then it'll surely be of interest to some active piper.
glands

Post by glands »

I thought that doctors were supposed to be confidential...
Last edited by glands on Wed Aug 25, 2004 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.