planxty reunion dvd

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
maze
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

planxty reunion dvd

Post by maze »

has anyone seen this dvd? i just got it from philipe and was curious if anyone else shares in my joy of finally being able to see all these guys together on a stage. i am too young to the irish trad to have been able to have seen it in person... pretty damned cool despite its faults! :o
djm

Post by djm »

Maze, there are at least two other threads about this already. Try the Search option.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Joseph E. Smith
antispam: No

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

John, all earlier accounts rave about the DVD. One of these days, I am going to have to buy it myself. Planxty is on the top of my list of ITM favorites.

Why is it, whenever someone asks for an opinion about something here, they're told to run a search? Why can't we just answer the question politely?
Bill Reeder

Post by Bill Reeder »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:Why is it, whenever someone asks for an opinion about something here, they're told to run a search? Why can't we just answer the question politely?

Joseph, just run a search for Pete's sake! :lol:
Bill

"... you discover that everything is just right: the drones steady and sonorous, the regulators crisp and tuneful and the chanter sweet and responsive. ... I really look forward to those five or six days every year." Robbie Hannan
djm

Post by djm »

JES wrote:Why is it, whenever someone asks for an opinion about something here, they're told to run a search? Why can't we just answer the question politely?
Because many opinions and questions and comments have already been voiced on this topic and in multiple threads. I guess its a bit of a case of "here we go again". It certainly doesn't reflect negatively on Planxty or their DVD. But how many times should we repeat ourselves, when the originator could find out our input by doing a Search. Its certainly nothing personal against Maze (or you :wink: ).

djm
AlanB
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by AlanB »

I recently asked on the flute forum how to care for my wifes flute while she isn't playing it (due to babe/pregnancyy etc.,) and I was told to follow a link to the makers website. All I wanted was a tip on maintenance........

If you're gonna reply to a post, and you know the answer or have an opinion you want to share/voice, let it out. Telling people to search just makes it a glorified google, or makes it sound like you're telling them to (bleep) off 'cos you can't be bothered. People come in to ask questions with (I guess) the thought that this is a community of like minds or something, so a 'search' isn't a great welcome. Frankly, you could tell people to search with probably 90% of theire questions. The same topics and questions come up time after time. *shrug*.

Alan
Joseph E. Smith

Bill R. wrote: "Joseph, just run a search for Pete's sake! "
======================================

... :sniffle:
Eivind

Post by Eivind »

...while posting a link to the relevant thread would be both to-the-point and welcoming at the same time, right?

:-)
Tony
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

You have to realize when the same few questions get repeated as new topics it gets harder to find the (important) older ones... especially when we go astray with our posts (as often as we do) The search feature returns hundreds of previous posts and more time is spent sifting rather than learning.

Planxty mentioned here:
http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... 1fcf48dc82
Joseph E. Smith

Yeah, it is tiresome at times to repeat oneself. But as is often the case, the individual posting the question may be unaware of the previous threads regarding the desired topic, and asking them to run a search seems a tad rude.

As Tony pointed out, there are many, many contributions to the 'Planxty DVD' question. Locating the useful ones can be an undertaking. I think that in the spirit of community and good will, it doesn't hurt us to repeat ourselves. I think that in the spirit of community and good will, it doesn't hurt us to repeat ourselves. I think that in the spirit of community and good will, it doesn't hurt us to repeat ourselves....uh...emmm..right. :D
djm

Post by djm »

I think that in spirit of community it behooves the questioner/poster to check the FAQs, do a Search, and then post the query. This is considered normal etiquette on most forums. People not familiar with forums may not know this the first time, so it is helpful to point out these utilities to them.

Gosh, aren't I helpful? :D

djm
Joseph E. Smith

Totally...dude.
maze

lets just drop it

Post by maze »

hey guys,

i was just watching the video when i sen the post in... i am really sorry to have irked and offended so many people on internet etiquette. lets just let this little topic die and go off into the sunset. NO, i did not do a search ahead of time... too lazy or just to enthralled with the dvd... i will look into it and certainly do my research ahead of time.

my apologies.

back to lurking i suppose.

maze
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

Nah...stick around, Maze. John, right? Let the others lurk. In fact, well never mind. You have too much to offer. Many of us know you from the U-LISTSERV.

And, No...I haven't seen the DVD yet. Still waiting.
Joseph E. Smith

I don't think you have irked or offended anybody here, and if you have, it is good for them....keeps 'em regular and all that. :D