Best ITM city in N. America

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
carrie

Post by carrie »

Pat Cannady wrote:BTW Carol, we forgot Sean Cleland. Sean would kick my ass if I didn't mention him :).
Yikes. Of course. And I just bought the latest bohola CD, too. Very nice.

Thanks, Pat.

Carol
Pat Cannady
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Pat Cannady »

Lorenzo wrote:Ah, but you know how many Irish musicians have come out from Chicago (the uncontested city of ITM--far as I'm concerned) to the Seattle-Portland area and never returned? Or at least never wanted to? Not a city full of older names, but the newer younger ones is phenomenal. Portland is known in the circles as the fiddlers paradise, Seattle more for pipers (and other instruments).

And recently, I even seem to recall a guy named Pat thinking of moving to Seattle! :wink:

Cincinnati use to be hopping with ITM back in the 80's. I knew quite a few of them and use to see them regularly at our summer festivals out here.
Well, I can live without the cold dry reed-killing, pipe-cracking weather in January, that's for sure. You can find a session almost any night of the week, even in the dead of winter, but some nights it's better to just stay in, put a pot of water on the stove and play in your kitchen.
oleorezinator
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

Post by oleorezinator »

Bloomfield wrote:
oleorezinator wrote:
j dasinger wrote: Why?
bill ochs, jerry o sullivan, ivan goff, tony demarco,brian conway,paddy reynolds,john nolan,linda hickman, mick moloney, patrick ourceau,eamonn o' leary, james keane to name a few. sessions 7 days a week. etc. nice avatar by the way.
Where's there a session on Wednesday? I've been looking.
tony demarco has one on wed. i'll keep you posted.
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love.
Love is not music. Music is the best.
- Frank Zappa
Bloomfield
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

oleorezinator wrote:
Bloomfield wrote:
oleorezinator wrote:bill ochs, jerry o sullivan, ivan goff, tony demarco,brian conway,paddy reynolds,john nolan,linda hickman, mick moloney, patrick ourceau,eamonn o' leary, james keane to name a few. sessions 7 days a week. etc. nice avatar by the way.
Where's there a session on Wednesday? I've been looking.
tony demarco has one on wed. i'll keep you posted.
That would be at O'Reilly's? Let's meet some time and catch some chunes.
/Bloomfield
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

I know b*gg*r all about the ITM scene in the USA, but the answer surely has to be Chicago because of Chief O'Neill. Where would we be today without those wonderful guys who kept the tradition more than alive, when it was being repressed in Ireland. Besides, the finest ITM harmonica player of the present day, James Conway, is a Chicago man! Biased, me?? :-?

Cheers!

Steve
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!