What a wonderful Funeral us Americans can put on

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
lollycross
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

What a wonderful Funeral us Americans can put on

Post by lollycross »

Hi all,
It was sure a day of wonderful funeral events. It equalled Princess
Di's I think....and she didn't have Gorbochoff.
I'm proud that everyone could love this man so much, just not us
Illinois-born people.
Lolly
IDAwHOa
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

Yeah, I think that I can deal with the attention that a past president receives at this time.

I hope all the federal people enjoyed their special day off on us though. :roll: That is a bit too much for me to bite off.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
rebl_rn

Post by rebl_rn »

I didnn't see the funeral in DC this AM, as I had to work, but I thought the service in California was absolutely wonderful. I watched it on CSPAN so I didn't have to listen to any commentators and thoroughly enjoyed the band and choir performing for about an hour or so before the service. Especially "Precious Lord, Take My Hand", which was the first thing all this week which moved me to tears.

I so feel for Nancy. The poor woman has to be absolutely exhausted.

Beth
Wash your hands. Cough and sneeze in your sleeve. Stay home if you are sick. Stay informed. http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu for more info.
littlejohngael
Tell us something.: I've been with Chiff and Fipple since shortly after I bought my first low D. I've learned loads from this community, and I intend to continue to learn and contribute. Many thanks to Dale and everyone who makes this site happen.

Post by littlejohngael »

NorCalMusician wrote:Yeah, I think that I can deal with the attention that a past president receives at this time.

I hope all the federal people enjoyed their special day off on us though. :roll: That is a bit too much for me to bite off.
Lemme tell ya, Steven. It was sooooo nice to wake up later than 5:00a.m. this morning. Sleeping in was so nice. Mmmm. And then the big breakfast I had ... oh my ... bacon, eggs, pancakes ... Watching the day unfold ... oh yeah, it was nice ... I thank you from the bottom of my heart. :D

Little John
BillChin

Post by BillChin »

I listened to the morning proceedings and watched the evening events. There was one melody during the morning, not one that I know by name, that I want to look up and either learn or adapt. In the evening, when the kids spoke, it felt so very personal. My own eulogy for my grandmother is fresh in my mind and I could easily identify with each and every story. When Nancy began to tear up towards the end of the formal proceedings, so did I.

One cliche is to measure a person's life by the number of people that pay their respects at the funeral. The spontaneous and overwhelming showing by the American people for the public viewings and lining the roads show how many lives were touched.
+ Bill
littlejohngael
Tell us something.: I've been with Chiff and Fipple since shortly after I bought my first low D. I've learned loads from this community, and I intend to continue to learn and contribute. Many thanks to Dale and everyone who makes this site happen.

Post by littlejohngael »

BillChin wrote:When Nancy began to tear up towards the end of the formal proceedings, so did I.
I hear you, Bill. I held it together pretty well until they gave Nancy the folded flag. When she laid her head on the casket and cried, I lost it. ... cried my eyes out.

Best,

LJ
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

A friend of mine stood in line six and a half hours to walk past the casket. He started in line at 1 AM at the Air and Space Museum.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
spittin_in_the_wind

Post by spittin_in_the_wind »

My daughter's first grade class apparently got to watch the whole national funeral service, from what I can gather. It is wonderful to me that they took the time to mark this piece of history with children who are only just old enough to understand some of it. I had to work so missed the whole thing, but got to hear about it from my daughter. It's fascinating to share something like this with a child who wasn't even born when he was president, but who is developing a sense of history and proportion.

Poor Nancy. It's hard enough to go through the funeral of a spouse, but for it to go on for a whole week and with such pomp and circumstance must be more than a person can reasonably be expected to bear. May peace be with her.

Robin
jkrazy52

Post by jkrazy52 »

littlejohngael wrote:
BillChin wrote:When Nancy began to tear up towards the end of the formal proceedings, so did I.
I hear you, Bill. I held it together pretty well until they gave Nancy the folded flag. When she laid her head on the casket and cried, I lost it. ... cried my eyes out.

Best,

LJ
I had to leave the room before I did the same. My heart goes out to Mrs. Reagan -- how horrible to be on display to the world in the midst of heart-breaking sorrow; and how admirably she carried it off. God Bless her & their family.

~Judy
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

I thought the funeral was wonderfully well-done. I lost it during Margaret Thatcher's recorded speech, and again when Former Pres. Bush's voice caught as he was recalling an anecdote. And I was so happy they used Rite I...it just seems so much more fitting and dignified for such an occasion.

I didn't see the burial service, because I had thought that was supposed to be a private service for just family and close friends. I didn't realize they were going to televise it.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Redwolf wrote:And I was so happy they used Rite I...it just seems so much more fitting and dignified for such an occasion.
Yes. Truly the next best thing to the 1928 BCP.
Reasonable person
Walden
The Sporting Pitchfork

Post by The Sporting Pitchfork »

It was, in all honesty, an extremely dignified, wonderfully executed tribute to Mr. Reagan. Far, far nicer than the sort of funerals people get in places like Nicaragua...or El Salvador.
claudine
Tell us something.: Hi, I am a choir singer from Luxembourg trying to get back to Irish flute playing after a few years of absence from ITM.

Post by claudine »

I haven't seen Mr Reagan's funeral in detail, but the most impressive funeral I have ever seen was the one of Queen Mum. All these uniforms, horses, carriages and fantastic music. When it's about pomp & circumstance, you can't beat a monarchy.
Last edited by claudine on Sat Jun 12, 2004 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
chas

Post by chas »

NorCalMusician wrote:Yeah, I think that I can deal with the attention that a past president receives at this time.

I'm with LittleJohn. It was great, and I really needed it. BTW, we got a day off for Nixon's funeral, too. :oops:
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Onager

Post by Onager »

The Sporting Pitchfork wrote:It was, in all honesty, an extremely dignified, wonderfully executed tribute to Mr. Reagan. Far, far nicer than the sort of funerals people get in places like Nicaragua...or El Salvador.
Afghanistan, working-class America...

Probably expensive, too, but we can just tack it onto the deficit.