What a wonderful Funeral us Americans can put on

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Caj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Caj »

BTW, Presbyterians were a big part of the reason we have separation of Church and State in the US.

There were two competing proposals for religious freedom in the US: the Thomas Jefferson proposal (this is what ended up in the 1st amendment) and the Patrick Henry proposal. The Henry proposal basically said that the US would be a Christian nation rather than a secular one, although beyond that the gov't would keep its fingers out of religion, and no religion would be suppressed.

Presbyterians and Baptists opposed the Henry proposal, because it seemed too much like the beginnings of a state religion like Anglicanism. Even a simple federal nod toward Christianity was suspicious to these folk, many of whom came to America to escape religious persecution.

Caj

Post by Guest »

Caj wrote:BTW, Presbyterians were a big part of the reason we have separation of Church and State in the US.

There were two competing proposals for religious freedom in the US: the Thomas Jefferson proposal (this is what ended up in the 1st amendment) and the Patrick Henry proposal. The Henry proposal basically said that the US would be a Christian nation rather than a secular one, although beyond that the gov't would keep its fingers out of religion, and no religion would be suppressed.

Presbyterians and Baptists opposed the Henry proposal, because it seemed too much like the beginnings of a state religion like Anglicanism. Even a simple federal nod toward Christianity was suspicious to these folk, many of whom came to America to escape religious persecution.

Caj
Huh, well I would sooner ask a Quaker, since it was they who started it all, and I must add they always made more sense to me about lots of other things besides politics!, say nowt about porridge and dancing for the Lord.
ChrisLaughlin
antispam: No

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

Nancy Reagan, Ron Reagan Jr. and Patty Reagan have all now publicly come out strongly in favor of John Kerry for President.

http://www.esquire.com/cgi-bin/printtoo ... &x=57&y=13

http://www.capitolhillblue.com/artman/p ... 4935.shtml
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

:-?
And there was me thinking that there was a seperate thread for all this stuff that us over-the- pond types don't understand.

Ah well....

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

dubhlinn wrote::-?
And there was me thinking that there was a seperate thread for all this stuff that us over-the- pond types don't understand.

Ah well....

Slan,
D.
Yeah. Someone just decided to revive this old thread, rather than availing of that thread.
Reasonable person
Walden
happyturkeyman

Post by happyturkeyman »

A month is not necessarily too long, but the flags were at half-mast on the fourth of July. This did not agree with me.
We can dance if we want to
We can leave your friends behind
Cause your friends don't dance and if they don't dance
Well they're no friends of mine.
jkrazy52

Post by jkrazy52 »

Actually, I think President Bush announced on July 3rd that the flag should return to full-staff for the 4th ... but I agree with Walden and dubhlinn - not the right thread to address a political agenda, no matter which side.

Respectfully,
Judy
happyturkeyman

Post by happyturkeyman »

jkrazy52 wrote:Actually, I think President Bush announced on July 3rd that the flag should return to full-staff for the 4th ... but I agree with Walden and dubhlinn - not the right thread to address a political agenda, no matter which side.

Respectfully,
Judy
I meant to say it was a specific flag, did not sit well with me ESPECIALLY because of the request. I believe our post office got it right, but not the courthouse by the river on which the fireworks are held and everyone goes to watch.

It sat badly with me both that they didn't get it right, and that it had to be remedied in the first place... I mean someone should've thought ahead about the fourth of july thing, you know.

I guess it's kinda like an intermission at a funeral. Just... not right.

Do you get what I'm saying? I'm kinda sleepy...

Edit: Yeah, looking at that last post that wasnt exactly how I was supposed to write it.
We can dance if we want to
We can leave your friends behind
Cause your friends don't dance and if they don't dance
Well they're no friends of mine.
jkrazy52

Post by jkrazy52 »

Ah, I understand. We had a cemetery near here that did not raise the flag back, until my Dad (a WWII veteran) noticed it, stopped and raised in himself, several days late.

~Judy