on eBAY: Willie Rowsome Bb Set for Sale - ca. 1905

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Jim McGuire

on eBAY: Willie Rowsome Bb Set for Sale - ca. 1905

Post by Jim McGuire »

Last edited by Jim McGuire on Tue Jul 06, 2004 3:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Tony
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

??
When does the auction start?
eBay is asking for me to sign in.
Then, I get an invalid item error message.
eric

Post by eric »

Is that the same set sold from eBay last year? Check out Pat d'Arcy's page with pics:

http://www.uilleannobsession.com/diary_2003.html
Jim McGuire

Post by Jim McGuire »

Yup.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Buy it now for $12,500.00....uh, anybody got a spare $12,500.00 they can lend me...eh?...eh?... :D
upiper71

Re: Willie Rowesome Bb flat pipes

Post by upiper71 »

Very Nice! But my only concern is who has that kind of money to dish out for pipes? Probably only antiquities collectors.

Happy piping!

Slainte..

upiper71
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Welcome upiper71. You'd be surprised how many out there DO have the jing to spend on a really cool set of pipes like these....there are also those who will will max out their credit cards to get their hands on an historical set like the W. Rowsome Bb set.
Last edited by Joseph E. Smith on Tue Jul 06, 2004 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
upiper71

Re: Willie Rowesome pipes

Post by upiper71 »

Yeah, I guess. Well, it's too bad they haven't posted some sound files to see what they sound like in their re-furbished fashion.

Regards,

Daryl
anima
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by anima »

12.5K ouch!

Who's the seller, and why is he selling again so soon? Profiteering?

Jeff@cynics 'R us
Jim McGuire

Post by Jim McGuire »

The published reserve is 10,000 USD. So, if no other bidders, one could secure the set that way. The premium to shut down the auction is 12,500 USD, the Buy-It-Now option.

If the bidding does not reach the reserve, there is no obligation on either party.

The set is advertised as 'rare'. I am guessing that there are 12 extant Willie Rowsome D set , 1 or 2 C sets (Pat Mitchell's w/o the chanter), and no B or Bb sets. Another aspect of rarity is how many sets can be seen in a photo from that era?
eric

Post by eric »

> it's too bad they haven't posted some sound files to see
> what they sound like in their re-furbished fashion.

Well, it's only the drones and regs-- the chanter is by Brad Angus.
srfmowman

Post by srfmowman »

The set certainly looks better than it did when it was in pieces in the last auction. So, the seller put out money to buy the pieces, had those pieces refurbished, and had a chanter made to go with the set.

Profiteering? I think it is more a service fee for making a piece of history available and making it possible for that piece of history to be played by future generations instead of rotting in a basement somewhere. I have noticed a sentiment on this board that profit, for an owner or a maker, is a bad thing. I don't begrudge a craftsman whatever he can make for his skill. If he is making what people desire and is skilled with it, who am I to grouse that he makes enough to care for his family and provide for his own retirement when he is no longer able to work. There are many things in this world that appreciate with time because people want to possess them or are possessed by them. I know doctors who spend more than this in a year washing their cars. It certainly cost me more than this to have my knee repaired back to normal function ( a 45 minute operation). How much is that an hour? NOTICE: END OF RANTING :boggle: :boggle:

I would also like to hear some tunes on this beatiful set that has been brought back to life by Brad. Come on Jim, get a few posted on clips and snips before the set leaves your hands :)
anima

Post by anima »

OK, I now understand that there has been some work on this set since last year, but again, it seems that a lot of sets are showing up again on ebay and it just makes me wonder if this is just to increase their perceived value, because they are poor sets and are being flogged off on another unsuspecting buyer, or as in the case of this set may have have had some honest renovation done on them. I dunno. Now as far as your knee surgery went, the VAST majority of your "greater than $12,500" bill went not to your orthopedist, but also to the anesthesia doc and the most importantly the HOSPITAL. There seems to be this idea out there that we docs are raping the average consumer with medical bills. That ain't the way it is pal. My bill for 9 months of prenatal care plus delivery is $2500, what I get from your insurance company is about $1600 (and I am not allowed to bill the patient for the rest), so there is about 3 hours of office visits and probably about 12 hours of care in labor, that comes out to about $107 dollars an hour. I just paid my plumber 600 for less than 2 hours of work on my shower (and he didn't even repair the large hole he cut in my ceiling).
As you say........ NOTICE: END OF RANTING

It's all relative.

I'll probably regret taking the bait on this one...

Jeff
Jim McGuire

Post by Jim McGuire »

anima wrote:but again, it seems that a lot of sets are showing up again on ebay and it just makes me wonder if this is just to increase their perceived value,
eBAY is the perfect free market vehicle with its low cost of entry and relative low cost to complete the sale (upon successful completion). With its worldwide reach, one can see more items that ever before from the comfort of their computer seat and one can sell an item from the same perch. How can that be an issue?
eric

Post by eric »

Anima, the set was on eBay last year in a "discovered" run-down state. The drones and regs have been at the very least cleaned up, if not restored to playing condition.

It's a nice little piece of history sitting there.