Benedict Koehler American Ironwood Chanter with one key

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Steve Pribyl
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Steve Pribyl »

From Tim Britton's web site:

"Mountings are simply an extension of the wood of the pipe."

http://www.skep.com/britton/
glands

Post by glands »

It is a lovely appearing chanter. BK does a fine job. The bore and reed will be state-of-the-art. I called it a student chanter as it is identical in "appearance" to the chanters that Benedict makes to go along with his practice sets I've seen. I do not proclaim to know what Benedict thinks or whether he considers this to be a student or otherwise model. Make no inferences.
Last edited by glands on Wed Aug 25, 2004 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wolvy
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by wolvy »

I find a simple elegance to the integral mounts that BK put on this chanter. I love it, and I suppose it is much lighter in the hands as well. I am not too fond of heavy chanters. 'Cuz I am just a lazy boy.
tommykleen
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

Sorry to wax botanical, but would this wood be Carpinus caroliniana or Ostrya virginiana? or other?

Nerdily,
t
DMQuinn

Post by DMQuinn »

BK turns most of the chanters he makes with integral "mounts," such as the ones on this chanter. The design is indeed an homage to Leo Rowsome, who turned out lots of chanters similarly decorated. It is easy enough to put on decorative turnings of another material at some later time, if the owner desires, but the idea behind doing it this way is to keep things simple and affordable.

As has been pointed out already, the bore and the reed are what's important. I had this chanter in my shop the week BK was in East Durham, and it's a fine sounding instrument, for sure. I don't know what species the ironwood is, and can only say that it is something BK harvested on his own land many years ago.
Paul Reid

Post by Paul Reid »

PR

c[]|________||___o__o__O___o__O__º__º__||_]
      \\
vanfleet
Tell us something.: I play a full set of Seth Gallagher uilleann pipes, have been taking lessons, listening, and practicing since 1983. Teachers have included Bill Ochs, and David Power.

chanter auction on Ebay

Post by vanfleet »

Can I offer some suggestions for listing items on Ebay? If you really want to get the best possible sale price on the benefit items for Jerry O'Sullivan, you need to do a little more work!
For example, a search for "uilleann" on Ebay does not retrieve the ironwood chanter at all. You need to put that word in the title of the auction, and in the description. Sure, everyone reading the chiff board knows all about it, but there are probably dozens of potential buyers who do not.
Making sure that *all* the listings for Jerry's benefit have his name in the description would be a really good idea, so folks can search them out and see one list of the available items. Making it clear that these items are for a benefit auction is probably also a good idea.
Pictures of the item being sold are absolutely, positively essential!! If you can post the pics to the chiff board, you should be able to upload them to Ebay. The link is nice, if you think potential buyers would benefit from reading the discussion on the chiff board, but that requires bidders to click through and leave the Ebay listing, then scan down the thread.

Hope these comments are taken as intended, I'm as eager as anyone to see the auction do spectacularly well, and really provide the maximum "benefit."
Jim McGuire

Post by Jim McGuire »

Pictures with an auction are essential for success.
Last edited by Jim McGuire on Fri Jul 30, 2004 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
piperdoc

Post by piperdoc »

whoever guessed 1650, dont look now. legal or not, this auction is off and running. i predict 3000. btw, see the thread on the flute board for other stuff being auctioned for the same good cause. none of it is up yet as i understand.
meir
piperdoc

Post by piperdoc »

whoever guessed 1650, dont look now. legal or not, this auction is off and running. i predict 3000. btw, see the thread on the flute board for other stuff being auctioned for the same good cause. none of it is up yet as i understand.
meir
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

piperdoc

Post by piperdoc »

look again lorenzo. since its for a good cause i have no problem playing chicken with it. my wild guess is that a bid is already in fo 2600.
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

Hoy Shmoly! $2,175. 17 bids (13 bids last time I looked), and only 4 bidders! 5d 4hr left to go.
elbogo

Post by elbogo »

And not only that, the top 2 bidders are on this forum, so they do know exactly what they're bidding on.
Paul Reid

Post by Paul Reid »

I'll sweeten this a little. I have nothing formal to do with theis auction, but I did take the pix and video (It was simply opportune that I happened to be there), and I would be proud to give a copy of the video clip - on DVD to the winner. Just let me know by email or PM on this board.

Cheers,
PR
PR

c[]|________||___o__o__O___o__O__º__º__||_]
      \\