Benedict Koehler American Ironwood Chanter with one key

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Tony
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

I'm suprised it broke the $2,000 mark so soon.
Uilleann isn't used in the title or description, it has no pictures or sound files (only the link to C&F) It didn't indicate the auction was for the O'Sullivan Benefit fund. Breaking all the rules for a successful eBay auction... it's sure to have some last minute suprises.

Wizzer, do you know if there would be some consideration on the waiting list should the winning bidder want to add more keys??
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

I am thinking that the winning bidder was a member of these C&F forums, and knew the true value of this chanter as well as the reason for its being offered up for auction. I am happy to see that it went for what it did, but sorry (in some respect) to see it didn't go for a higher bid.

Well, done!

Get well Jerry, and all of the very best to you and yours!!
Wizzer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

want to add more keys?

Post by Wizzer »

Tony wrote:I'm suprised it broke the $2,000 mark so soon.
Uilleann isn't used in the title or description, it has no pictures or sound files (only the link to C&F) It didn't indicate the auction was for the O'Sullivan Benefit fund. Breaking all the rules for a successful eBay auction... it's sure to have some last minute suprises.

Wizzer, do you know if there would be some consideration on the waiting list should the winning bidder want to add more keys??
BK still has the chanter in his shop and he may be persuaded to help out but I do not know. I just called his shop but there is no answer today so we will have to wait until Monday. His shop number is 802.229.0315 (Shop)
Phil
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.

Post by Tony »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:I am thinking that the winning bidder was a member of these C&F forums, and knew the true value of this chanter as well as the reason for its being offered up for auction. I am happy to see that it went for what it did, but sorry (in some respect) to see it didn't go for a higher bid.

Well, done!

Get well Jerry, and all of the very best to you and yours!!
Joseph, unless I'm looking at the wrong auction, there's still 3+ days left until it closes.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 3739089092
Jim McGuire

Post by Jim McGuire »

The Reserve has been met so there will be a successful auction.
Wizzer

successful auction

Post by Wizzer »

Jim McGuire wrote:The Reserve has been met so there will be a successful auction.
Success will be measured by the pleasure of hearing Jerry play, experiencing the beauty and creative talents of his music. Knowing that our efforts have to some small measure help make it possible for that creative talent to continue.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

quote: "Joseph, unless I'm looking at the wrong auction, there's still 3+ days left until it closes"
=============================================

emmm.......er......uh....so there is. My bad. But the sentiment remains the same!!!! :D

Been preoccupied as of late, sorry folks. :D
Jim McGuire

Post by Jim McGuire »

That auction will close successfully since it hit the Reserve. If it did not hit the Reserve, then the auction would be unsuccessful.

It is difficult to tell if that auction is really for what you tell us it is. The public auction is not marked for the Jerry O'Sullivan Appreciation Fund. Even the auction does not possess its own photos.

Unfortunately, fraud runs rampant these days. It would be great to have confidence in these auctions.
Pipey

BK Chanter Jerry O'Sullivan

Post by Pipey »

Hey, e-bay experts. If the auction is over at 10:00 PM PDT does that mean it is simultaneously over at 1:00 AM EDT? Something about the sun's direction, I think. (Sorry. Bad with this left brain stuff) :-?
"So many tunes, so little time"

Member - www.hudsonriverpipersclub.com
Jim McGuire

Post by Jim McGuire »

eBAY is based in the San Francisco Bay area and all eBAY auction times are PDT - Pacific Daylight Time. So, yes, 3 hours difference to the East coast and the auction ends 'simultaneously'.
glands

Post by glands »

I was called by a friend and notified of the bids for this chanter. I'm checking in to pose a question. Bidders please respond....... others are free to pontificate.

The chanter is clearly expected to be a jewel and I suppose it will provide generations of pipers much delight.

Do you think the bids have escalated to such an amount as folks REALLY want to have a great instrument and the nature of the auction is that he or she who is willing to pay the most wins? Or, is it possible that the bidders have elected to go after this one despite the price associated with a bid as there is satisfaction in participating in the benefit for Jerry O'Sullivan?

If the first is the reason, as I suspect it is the principal reason, then it speaks to the value of work by the pipe maker.

It is interesting to see what the market will bear in the setting of low supply and high demand.

OK....OK....don't get started....I realize that you folks get along better when I don't visit C&F. :D
Wizzer

Post by Wizzer »

Jim McGuire wrote:That auction will close successfully since it hit the Reserve. If it did not hit the Reserve, then the auction would be unsuccessful.

It is difficult to tell if that auction is really for what you tell us it is. The public auction is not marked for the Jerry O'Sullivan Appreciation Fund. Even the auction does not possess its own photos.

Unfortunately, fraud runs rampant these days. It would be great to have confidence in these auctions.
The actual name is the Jerry O'Sullivan Benefit fund. Many of the members of this board are familiar with the star studded event we ran on June 17th in Yonkers, and the ongoing raffle for other prizes. We had some very find musician instruments donated by the friends of Jerry and many of those donating them suggested that they would prefer an Auction so that the instruments would end up in the hands of those who could appreciate them. Thus the eBay auctions. If you have any question about whether this is legitimate to can speak to Bk who would certainly have check this out before donating such an exquisite instrument. You can also go to Jerry's site and ask the question at http://www.uilleann.com/jerry/ or check with Seth Gallagher at http://www.uilleann.com/. I hope this eases your mind about this auction.
just checked Jerry site it is being updated right now.
Phil Armstrong
piperdoc

Post by piperdoc »

"Bidders please respond....... others are free to pontificate. "

clearly everyone knows who those are.. when i signed up for ebay i did not know you could find out so easily.. i do now....

"Do you think the bids have escalated to such an amount as folks REALLY want to have a great instrument and the nature of the auction is that he or she who is willing to pay the most wins? "

only partly. most items on ebay don't go this much above retail.

"Or, is it possible that the bidders have elected to go after this one despite the price associated with a bid as there is satisfaction in participating in the benefit for Jerry O'Sullivan? "
again, only partly. i can't imagine a pennychanter going this high even for jerry, although i bet it would make it $100 above retail...

so it both factors together.

"It is interesting to see what the market will bear in the setting of low supply and high demand. "

my prediction of the final winning bid is already on record.

meir
Wizzer

2 to 3 months

Post by Wizzer »

Tony wrote:I'm suprised it broke the $2,000 mark so soon.

I called Ben this morning and he says he is very backed up right now but he would be able to get additional Keys on the Chanter in two to three months if the lucky winner so desires.
Phil Armstrong
Tony

Post by Tony »

glands wrote:....I realize that you folks get along better when I don't visit C&F. :D
I'll take the bait.
Glands, I view your 'visits' like someone kicking sand in the machinery and then complaining how things don't run smoothly.
Do you act that way on heatnet??
C&F has become quite an active forum... it's a shame we aren't up to your standards.
Seriously, I suggest you take more of an active presence here and help steer things to something you won't complain about.