FREE FROM SERPENT MUSIC - A THANK YOU

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Roger O'Keeffe
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Oh, My Gosh!!!

Post by Roger O'Keeffe »

billw wrote: ... uh... Serptne? How the heck am I ever gonna pronounce that!? :D
I think it rhymes with Lympne, if I only knew how to pronounce that.
An Pluiméir Ceolmhar
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

Loren wrote:
amar wrote:who you cawln a jerk, meathead!
You, ya knuckleneck! Now quit yer stallin' and break out the good jerky! :swear:

Loren
right meathead, here you go, BILTONG!
Jeff Guevin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jeff Guevin »

I'm betting the vegetarians on the board just love that picture.
Loren
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Drool.......
emmline

Post by emmline »

Jeff Guevin wrote:I'm betting the vegetarians on the board just love that picture.
that's why we're vegetarians. :really:
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

emmline wrote:
Jeff Guevin wrote:I'm betting the vegetarians on the board just love that picture.
that's why we're vegetarians. :really:
Dead right. That's seaweed. Inviting, huh?
GaryKelly
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by GaryKelly »

emmline wrote:
GaryKelly wrote:
Picked up a ...diddledum summink Mobile...
dumdiddle summink...rhymes with 'eel'...

I'll stop now before the snobes flame me. :oops:
Snobe here: It goes...picked up a Noob just south of Mobile,
played him a jig, but he wanted a reel
That's so cool!

Then it goes...

He played the Kesh 'cos he wanted some fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuunnnnnn,
Peter would've shot him if he knew what he'd done.

Quadrapodes, jerks and snobes,
We'd hear it from the people of the town
They'd call us quadrapodes, jerks and snobes
But every night all the noobs would come around
And lay their money down
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

NicoMoreno wrote:obviously.

What's polite?

What's normal standards of politeness?

hmm?

I am not being stupid here.... I am trying to make a point.
Here's Merriam Websters definition of both terms... (I've emphasized the part I find particularly pertinent to the discussion at hand by underlining)

CIVIL
Main Entry: civ·il <javascript:popWin('/cgi-bin/audio.pl?civil001.wav=civil')> <javascript:popWin('/cgi-bin/audio.pl?civil001.wav=civil')>
Pronunciation: 'si-v&l
Function: adjective
Etymology: Middle English, from Middle French, from Latin civilis, from civis
1 a : of or relating to citizens b : of or relating to the state or its citizenry
2 a : CIVILIZED <dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=civilized> <civil society> b : adequate in courtesy and politeness : MANNERLY <dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=mannerly>
3 a : of, relating to, or based on civil law b : relating to private rights and to remedies sought by action or suit distinct from criminal proceedings c : established by law
4 : of, relating to, or involving the general public, their activities, needs, or ways, or civic <dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=civic> affairs as distinguished from special (as military or religious) affairs
5 of time : based on the mean sun and legally recognized for use in ordinary affairs
synonyms CIVIL <dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=civil>, POLITE <dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=polite>, COURTEOUS <dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=courteous>, GALLANT <dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=gallant>, CHIVALROUS <dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=chivalrous+>mean observant of the forms required by good breeding. CIVIL <dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=civil+>often suggests little more than the avoidance of overt rudeness <owed the questioner a civil reply>. POLITE <dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=polite+>commonly implies polish of speech and manners and sometimes suggests an absence of cordiality <if you can't be pleasant, at least be polite>. COURTEOUS <dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=courteous+>implies more actively considerate or dignified politeness <clerks who were unfailingly courteous to customers>. GALLANT <dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=gallant+>and CHIVALROUS <dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=chivalrous+>imply courteous attentiveness especially to women. GALLANT <dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=gallant+>suggests spirited and dashing behavior and ornate expressions of courtesy <a gallant suitor of the old school>. CHIVALROUS <dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=chivalrous+>suggests high-minded and self-sacrificing behavior <a chivalrous display of duty>.
-------

POLITE

Main Entry: po·lite <javascript:popWin('/cgi-bin/audio.pl?polite01.wav=polite')> <javascript:popWin('/cgi-bin/audio.pl?polite01.wav=polite')>
Pronunciation: p&-'lIt
Function: adjective
Inflected Form(s): po·lit·er; -est
Etymology: Latin politus, from past participle of polire
1 a : of, relating to, or having the characteristics of advanced culture b : marked by refined cultural interests and pursuits especially in arts and belles lettres
2 a : showing or characterized by correct social usage b : marked by an appearance of consideration, tact, deference, or courtesy c : marked by a lack of roughness or crudities <polite literature>
synonym see CIVIL <dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=civil>
- po·lite·ly adverb
- po·lite·ness noun

---

IMHO, it is a skill worth having... The ability to speak to others without calling them names, or belittling their efforts or interests. There is, arguably, a subtle difference between 'hurting someone's feelings' and 'insulting them'... It means having respect for the other person, at least as another human being with a right to their own view.

If I tell you the truth, no matter how gently, you may get your feelings hurt.

For instance, if I don't like your new haircut, I might be tempted to tell you so: "I don't think that new hair cut complements your features as well as your old style. Here's my hairdresser's card if you want to try someone else next time.""

If I say it in a manner *intended* to insult you, you *will* get hurt. (Sheesh, you should go to a hairdresser that knows what they're doing, not a plastic wig maker. How can you insult our eyes with your appearance?)

Some would say the second is more 'direct'. Both say essentially the same thing, ... "I don't care for your haircut. Someone else can do it better."

Of course, they both deny the possiblitiy that your hair looks just exactly as you want it to.

Of the two, I prefer the first, from both positions.

but personally, I would just accept the fact that your hairdo is *your* business, unless you actually ask me to give you my opinion, *then* I would think about it and probably actually say, "Well, it's not what *I* would have chosen, but if *you* like it, I think it's fine. Pink spikes is going to challenge some of the locals, but hey... it's *your* hair." And I'm not offended to be seen in public with you". :)

The first response to Serpent's post, from Peter Laban, was "Traditionally one was supposed to learn from a good player not a wooden one . Seriously Bill if you can't play your way through a simple jig, consider joining a beginners' class instead of trying to teach one."

Direct? Yes. Correct? Possibly. Rude? You betcha. IMO, that was calculated to insult. That's why I felt the need to post a response asking for civility.

-----
Now, as for the jerky photo ... I'm not that far on the veggie side... it looks delish!
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

Okay Peter,

Here's a translation for you to make everyone happy:
Peter Laban wrote:Traditionally one was supposed to learn from a good player not a wooden one :D. Seriously Bill if you can't play your way through a simple jig, consider joining a beginners' class instead of trying to teach one.
Traditionally, dear Bill, people were learning from musicians who had lots of experience in playing the music and who were most of the time raised in a family playing music.

Bill, I would suggest you join a class first, before you try to teach people. It's not that I think you don't have the skills or talent, but I think you could learn a thing or two, and knowing you, Bill, talented as you are, you'd be kick ass in no time.

If you happen to be around Clare, you're welcome for a cup of tea.

Warm hug.

Peter.
emmline

Post by emmline »

I love that translation Az...so nice.
emmline

Post by emmline »

GaryKelly wrote:
emmline wrote:
GaryKelly wrote:
Picked up a ...diddledum summink Mobile...
dumdiddle summink...rhymes with 'eel'...

I'll stop now before the snobes flame me. :oops:
Snobe here: It goes...picked up a Noob just south of Mobile,
played him a jig, but he wanted a reel
That's so cool!

Then it goes...

He played the Kesh 'cos he wanted some fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuunnnnnn,
Peter would've shot him if he knew what he'd done.

Quadrapodes, jerks and snobes,
We'd hear it from the people of the town
They'd call us quadrapodes, jerks and snobes
But every night all the noobs would come around
And lay their money down
So, as I see it, the crux of this thread is that we need to distinguish who we're pitching our MP3 snippets to:
Is it ITM traditionalists...or is it the quadrapodes, noobs and snobes?

Get that straight, and this entire discussion is moot.
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

Alright, since nobody seems to realize my point:

anniemcu started off by citing a dictionary. Not the point. After all, I can look up THAT definition myself. However, she proceeded to (more or less) state her opinion of what polite, curteous, etc, is.

Now what we need are for those who she feels are being rude to state their opinions of each.

This is my point: they will be different. Get over it. Some people simply do not find the same things rude. So everyone can go on getting offended, thinking others rude, calling for politeness and civility and so on. Or you can not. I prefer the second method, since it is much less stressful.

Each to his/her own.

But don't expect everyone (or anyone) else to follow your method.

Enjoy!
Wanderer

Post by Wanderer »

NicoMoreno wrote: But don't expect everyone (or anyone) else to follow your method.
Then why are you trying to get Anniemcu to follow yours? ;)

Hey, I'm beginning to like this subjectivism thing! :party:

Wanderer does not warrant any information in this site, and makes no guarantees as to its accuracy or as to the rationality of any of the opinions expressed.

Wanderer intends for this opinion to be amusing ("humor") and is not intended to offend anyone in any way. Wanderer especially does not intend to offend the user from which is quoting ("NicoMoreno"). Nevertheless, as a statement of opinion, certain users may feel offended by the material in this post, and while Wanderer regrets this, Wanderer cannot take responsibility for any reaction to any material posted.

By reading this post with your own eyes, and which leads to your own brain via your own optic nerves, you agree that you are responsible for the way you feel about it. Wanderer reserves the right to claim innocence of any offense by pointing to the subjective nature of the word "offense", and by showing that it is impossible to offend anyone in any way, by showing how such alleged "offense" would not offend a hypothetical third party.

You agree to indemnify and hold harmless Wanderer for any angst, anger, stress, exasperation, claims, charges, demands, damages, liabilities, losses, expenses, and liabilities of whatever nature or any negative emotion your own brain may have generated upon interpreting the chemical stimuli from your body's own retinas. IN NO EVENT SHALL WANDERER BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES THE "HUMOR" MAY HAVE CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS "HUMOR", EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.

Wanderer does not warrant that Wanderer's "humor" is funny nor does Wanderer warrant its fitness for any purpose.

There are inherent dangers in the use of any "humor" and Wanderer cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the potential risks before exposing yourself to it. You are solely responsible for adequate protection of your brain and worldview, and Wanderer will not be liable for any damages that you may suffer in connection with reading anything you find on the internet.
emmline

Post by emmline »

Wanderer...my suits will be contacting yours shortly. I'm sure there's a loophole in there somewhere.
(Dang, I wish I didn't have to wear this stupid neckbrace.)
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

dubhlinn wrote:
NicoMoreno wrote:obviously.

What's polite?

What's normal standards of politeness?

hmm?

I am not being stupid here.... I am trying to make a point.
:boggle:
Take your time,no rush.

Slan,
D.
You took your time!

Slan,
D.
:wink:
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats