C&F VOTES!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Bill Ochs
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

C&F Votes!

Post by Bill Ochs »

JessieK wrote:I went to Declare Yourself and took the time to fill out the form. When I clicked on the link to download "[my] form", it gave me a BLANK form.
I am sorry to hear this. But I assume, as Dale expressed, that this is just a technical glitch. I hope in general that the online registration process goes smoothly. You could try another of the sites that Dale listed.

You can also register by downloading the National Mail Voter Registration Form from the Federal Election Commission's website:

http://www.fec.gov/votregis/vr.htm

Print out the form, complete it, and then mail it to the address for your state that is included in the instructions. Most states accept the NMVR form, but there are some restrictions:

N. Dakota does not have voter registration. Wyoming will not accept the form. New Hampshire requires that you register in person at your town clerk's office. Ohio will only accept the NMVR form on 40 pound greeting card stock. You can have Kinko's make a photocopy of the form on this stock.

(Edited, Aug. 9, '04: Actually there is some confusion about the weight of the card stock that Ohio accepts. The "Declare Yourself" site says 40 pound stock, but I was told that the Ohio Board of Elections says 74 pound stock. If you're in Ohio, it would be best to check with a local community organization that's involved in voter registration. Ohio ACORN can supply you with the proper forms. Here are e-mail contacts:Cincinnati ACORN, ohacornciro@acorn.org; Cleveland ACORN, ohacorncv@acorn.org; Columbus ACORN, ohacorncoro@acorn.org)

(Edited, Aug. 13, '04: Add Missouri to the list of states in which you can't register online. They don't accept the National Mail Voter Registration Form either. But you can get Missouri voter registration forms from Missouri ACORN or Missouri PROVOTE. E-mail moacorn@acorn.org or moprovote@mindspring.com.)

If you live in a state that is using electronic voting without a paper trail, consider getting an absentee ballot and sending it in via certified mail, return receipt requested.

Go to your state's website for information on obtaining an absentee ballot. The secretary of state's office often handles this, if there is not a dedicated state office of elections.

Bill Ochs
Last edited by Bill Ochs on Fri Aug 13, 2004 8:44 am, edited 3 times in total.
Montana

Post by Montana »

You made a nice voter webpage, Dale. I like the effect of the words scrolling over a stationary background. Haven't seen that before. Have to learn how to do that...

There may be some reason to feel that voting is somewhat ineffective at the national level but it becomes much more important the more local the races become. Abstaining from voting just because you're disillusioned about the presidential process hurts the local races. With less than 20% of the population participating in the average election, many of the local decisions, which can have a greater impact on you, are decided by a minority.
Get out and vote! Many in the world don't even get the illusion of such an opportunity. Even with the archaic electoral college system, when enough people vote, you can still do things like claim that the majority of voters did not elect the current president.
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Montana wrote:You made a nice voter webpage, Dale. I like the effect of the words scrolling over a stationary background. Haven't seen that before. Have to learn how to do that...
Thanks. In FrontPage 2003 (I'm not sure about earlier versions, you do that by setting the background picture and then checking the box that says "MAKE IT A WATERMARK."

I don't know much about html, but I gather this is the relevant part of the code:

<body background="americanflagbackground.jpg" style="background-attachment: fixed">
SirNick
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I love Irish music! I am mostly a whistle player but would like to learn more about flutes. I also have a couple older whistles I'd like to sell and maybe pick up a bamboo flute to practice with.

Post by SirNick »

Since the US has taken such a strong involvement in world politics and policies maybe all the people in all the countries of the world could also vote for the US president. That might prove to have interesting results! Oops, my ears are burning... am I getting ready to be flamed? :P
"You have my undivided attention"
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

SirNick wrote:Since the US has taken such a strong involvement in world politics and policies maybe all the people in all the countries of the world could also vote for the US president. That might prove to have interesting results! Oops, my ears are burning... am I getting ready to be flamed? :P
Kerry would win by a worldslide.
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

DaleWisely wrote:
SirNick wrote:Since the US has taken such a strong involvement in world politics and policies maybe all the people in all the countries of the world could also vote for the US president. That might prove to have interesting results! Oops, my ears are burning... am I getting ready to be flamed? :P
Kerry would win by a worldslide.
Funny how a simple, citizen registration incentive can take a subversive flavour...
I love the smell of subversion in the morning. It smells of victory.