Question WFO2 track 19?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Gaaslaj
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm selling a whistle, I'm a long-time member, thanks, John. Looks like I need more words, wow, really hard to update this, not sure what else to write, hope this is enough.

Question WFO2 track 19?

Post by Gaaslaj »

When I listen to this track, it just blows me away! The sound of the instrument, and the tunes he plays, they are just unreal. Why do they sound so different from other tunes? Is he using a lot of accidentals that aren't normally use in Itrad? J.
Azathoth
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Azathoth »

CD #1 or #2? If you mean Tom McElvogue, then he's been mentioned a lot on C&F recently. And for good reason!

It's been posted at least twice previously, but the website is:

http://www.tommcelvogue.com/music/index.html

It's a nice informative site, so I'd recommend a look.

His photos are also nice :D

Cheerz,

Ed
Gaaslaj
Tell us something.: I'm selling a whistle, I'm a long-time member, thanks, John. Looks like I need more words, wow, really hard to update this, not sure what else to write, hope this is enough.

Yes, CD 1.

Post by Gaaslaj »

That guy is awesome. Almost sounds like he plays some notes slightly out of tune on purpose? J.
Azathoth

Post by Azathoth »

I guess that comes partially from practising 4 hours+ per day as he has done.

Statements like that make me want to quit my day job like tomorrow.

It's a good day when I get one hour let alone more than four :boggle:
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Re: Question WFO2 track 19?

Post by kkrell »

Gaaslaj wrote:When I listen to this track, it just blows me away! The sound of the instrument, and the tunes he plays, they are just unreal. Why do they sound so different from other tunes? Is he using a lot of accidentals that aren't normally use in Itrad? J.
As mentioned, if it's Disc 1, that's Tom McElvogue, and the flute is an F flute by Boosey, borrowed from Norman Holmes (who may appear on WFO3). If Disc 2, than that's Joe Skelton, and he is quite a chromatic player. Joe's on a Eb flute by Chris Wilkes.

Kevin Krell
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

So then, maybe you like the sound of a higher pitched flute.....

Mary
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

I've scribed the three tunes Tom plays on that track (learning it from the disc using my own F flute) and play them myself.
Nevertheless, great tunes. The middle one (forget the name right now) sounds harder than it is. No accidentals at all. Sounds that way because of the F flute pitch.
I can pass along ABCs if anyone's interested as they are Trad Tunes (i think).
Just ask
dm
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

David Migoya wrote:I've scribed the three tunes Tom plays on that track (learning it from the disc using my own F flute) and play them myself.
Nevertheless, great tunes. The middle one (forget the name right now) sounds harder than it is. No accidentals at all. Sounds that way because of the F flute pitch.
I can pass along ABCs if anyone's interested as they are Trad Tunes (i think).
Just ask
dm
Tom McElvogue (3:27 Reels) Thrush in the Storm/The Cacodemon/The Watchmaker

"The Cacodemon" is also known as Jackie Daly's Reel, and composed by him (used with permission, of course). The name was not given to it by him, but he's OK with referencing it that way, as long as he still receives credit when played.

BTW, David, were you ever able to accomplish an official sort of review of the WFO2 CDs?

Kevin Krell
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

Yes, Kevin....written and submitted....two Irish-Celtic-related publications...
awaiting acceptance and once done, I'll clue you to a pub date