The Village

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Azalin
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

The Village

Post by Azalin »

The movie is coming out today, I just read a review and I thought the author (of the review) wrote something very interesting about parenthood.
"The Village" raises compelling questions about the lengths parents might go to shield their children from harm, and whether isolating the young ones from the phantoms in the closet might simply unleash the monsters under the bed.
This is what I believe myself, but I'm not a parent, so chances are I don't have a clue :-)
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

I'm not a parent either, but I know (don't ask how, please) that kids can handle an awful lot when they have to. I don't plan on hiding my kids from the scary stuff but neither will I thrust it on them...there's got to be a middle ground where a parent can support their child as he learns about fear and how to handle it.

Of course, Az, you know we are getting eye-rolls from EVERY parent reading this. :D

Haven't heard anything about the movie, but that's not surprising for me really. :) I've always tended to be a popular entertainment black hole.
Chuck_Clark
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Chuck_Clark »

That quote sounds like one of those pretentious reviews that are "assisted" by the movie flacks and follow the general premise of "If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle 'em with b***s**t."

I saw the trailer while attending another movie - looks like just another gothic horror flick.

BTW, if you're tempted to spend good money on "I, Robot", it's not bad as "shoot-em-up"s go, but it has almost nothing in common with the great Asimov story besides it's title and a few character names.
Its Winter - Gotta learn to play the blues
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

Beth, it seems that you're ready to be a parent. Where is it going to happen? England? Hehe!

Chuck, I really think this movie is more than just your typical sci-fi/horror movie, but I havent seen it yet, I'll cross my fingers...
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

No, I'm not ready to be a parent - I'm still having fun being a kid! :D
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

avanutria wrote:No, I'm not ready to be a parent - I'm still having fun being a kid! :D
They're not mutually exclusive. I'm having a blast, it's almost like a second childhood. Except for all the responsibility stuff, but I try not to let that get in the way.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
OutOfBreath

Post by OutOfBreath »

chas wrote:They're not mutually exclusive. I'm having a blast, it's almost like a second childhood. Except for all the responsibility stuff, but I try not to let that get in the way.
Having fun as a parent is immoral, irresponsible, and unnatural - it's reserved for when you become a grandparent :lol:
John
-------
The Internet is wonderful. Surely there have always been thousands of people deeply concerned about my sex life and the quality of my septic tank but before the Internet I never heard from any of them.
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

I was protected from some scary stuff when I was 8 and I resent it now. Whether it was a good thing or not, I don't know. We lived for a year with my mom's dad and sister in Dublin then. My grandfather was notorious for scaring kids with stories for fun and he was told not to do this to us. He restrained himself. My sister, a year younger, spent some weekends with my dad's mother, who was fiercely superstitious and scared the crap out of my sister (my sister's own words). Things like, don't stare at the mirror or the devil will appear, banshees, etc.

We were never so protective of our own kids and they've done fine. My daughter, 16, was watching a documentary on poltergeists when she was younger and asked me worriedly if it was real. I could only say that I've never encountered anything like that, but a lot of people believe it's true. Bad answer? She doesn't seem too spooked nowadays. My sister, on the other hand is pretty spooked in general and so is her daughter, who by some weird coincidence, won't keep a mirror in her room. My sister says she never told her about my grandmother's stories.
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
emmline

Post by emmline »

Daughter, 15, just saw The Village. She only went because her friends like scary flicks. Her verdict: not that scary, and not a bad film either.
Didn't quiz her on the deeper psychosocial implications.
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

I read the review before seeing the movie, and before I read the review I was expecting something very scary. After I read the review I knew that wasnt the case, and that's the reason why I actually enjoyed the movie, because I knew what too expect, to a certain extent. The movie is well written and directed, and the actors are great. It's just that it's too soft for my taste.
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

Chuck_Clark wrote:I saw the trailer while attending another movie - looks like just another gothic horror flick.
That I can say is NOT true, unfortunately.
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

I make it a point to scare the crap out of my kids at least once a moth to "toughen them up."

Not really.

Roger Ebert gave 'The Village' a horrible review.

Yes, really.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

The one stop shop for all movie reviews:
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/village/
Steven

Post by Steven »

I saw the movie last Tuesday. Yes, that's 3 days before it came out. My wife was an extra in it, so we got to go to the special screening. I thought it was a very good movie (even though you never get to actually see my wife!). Certainly not at all a typical horror flick. It's got a lot of suspense in it, but it's really about people and their reactions to things. A lot of people seem to be complaining that it has a Shyamalanish (like my new word?) twist at the end, but that's really not what it's about.

Bryce Howard did a really great job, and I think Adrian Brody will be nominated for a Best Supporting Actor Oscar (you heard it here first).

:-)
Steven
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

I'm going to be unpopular here, but I thought the film was simply terrible. Poor plot (I saw through it about 30 minutes into the film, and I hadn't read any reviews before I saw it), terrible dialogue/script (I won't give it away, but there are recordings from that era and people didn't sound that way), and the acting - well, lets just say I wasn't impressed.

I really liked Sixth sense, but I think the director is too tied into the twist formula these days.

Eric