Whistle Smiths: Narwhal Ivory Whistle?!?!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Rod Sprague
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Whistle Smiths: Narwhal Ivory Whistle?!?!

Post by Rod Sprague »

As a result of Walden’s thread on unusual whistle materials, I just went to http://www.boonetrading.com/ and found out they have legal narwhal ivory, which is naturally hollow with a conical bore!

Rod
Jeff Guevin

Post by Jeff Guevin »

What key would a 6'9" whistle be in, I wonder.
syn whistles
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by syn whistles »

I understand that it has already been done, at least with recorders. If you ever get a chance to see a narwhal horn you can see that the 'bore' is indeed conical, but very uneven, following somewhat the outer shape which is ridged and spiralled, so it would really need to be properly reamed. I heard that the instruments that were made from that material were excellent of quality.
So good it has to be a SYN!
kevin m.

Post by kevin m. »

Ivory of various kinds has a long history of usage in the manufacture of musical instruments.
Of course,Elephant Ivory is a no-no these days,though evidentally it made splendid Recorders and Flutes (the Stanesby Junior flute reproduced in very dense plastic by the Japanese firm Aulos (model AF3),being an example).
As well as the Narwhal (the Unicorn of the sea),there is also Walrus ivory(check out the marvelous Inuit carvings available) and Mammoth Ivory,which coming from an extinct animal,isn't covered by CITIES legislation.
Personally,I am 100% behind CITIES,though if a natural material is legitimately available,then I see no reason as to it's use,as long as it doesn't involve animal cruelty.
Question: Ivory recorders from the 17th century were discovered in a Danish castle in the 1980's. were they of Elephant Ivory or what?
I know that Greenland 'belonged' to Denmark-perhaps they were Walrus ivory?
"I blame it on those Lead Fipples y'know."
Rod Sprague

Post by Rod Sprague »

I would think that as long as the taper and twist is even, the cross section would not be critical. On reason I suggested that material was for its novelty. A whistle that appears to be made from a unicorn horn would be entertaining to own, especially if it includes a good story full of blarney to go along with it (“Long ago, one of my ancestors saved the life of a fine unicorn. As unicorns are magical creatures, they can grow their horns back without any real trouble, so they gave it to my ancestor as a gift . . .”). It might also have great acoustic merit.

Rod
anticDevices

Post by anticDevices »

Rod Sprague wrote:I would think that as long as the taper and twist is even, the cross section would not be critical. On reason I suggested that material was for its novelty. A whistle that appears to be made from a unicorn horn would be entertaining to own, especially if it includes a good story full of blarney to go along with it
I suppose 'novelty' would be the best descriptor, but definitely very high on my wish-list would be a bone whistle. Not necessarily ivory, though I suppose that would be the best option.

I think it was the bone whistles - as in the historical artifacts still laying around - that was one of the things that intrigued me about the instrument. Part of the inspiration to pick it up, the fact it could be constructed out of something like a bone. Does that constitute being motivated by 'novelty'? Hm. Probably. Especially in any practical sense, given you can get a decent whistle relatively inexpensively.

Anyway, an ivory whistle would definitely be hella cool. I can't imagine who could make a good one though. I wonder if wood-working skills transfer over to bone or ivory?

- P
"Mensch werden ist eine Kunst" - Novalis
to become a human being is art
syn whistles

Post by syn whistles »

I gather that people in your part of the world don't often enjoy the culinary delights of a roasted leg of lamb, a pity, if only for thr reason that it provides an excellent length of bone for whistle making when you are finished. Only a short three hole toy, but an interesting exercise. I was once asked to make a flute from a human femur, declined the offer. Does anyone have experience with deer/game bones? you might get a length for an E or D whistle from that source.
So good it has to be a SYN!
Rod Sprague

Post by Rod Sprague »

I would think ivory and bone would be somewhere between wood and stone in working characteristics. They are “engineered” not to be brittle, so they probably could be worked on a lathe. Being partly mineral in nature, I would guess that special tools would be needed that resemble wood working tools, but that also resemble metal or ceramic working tools (there are special ceramics that can be machined!) that don’t get dull as quickly.

Here is a possible source of bone, if that seems promising; http://www.boneroom.com/bone/boneintro.html.

I also found a good source of custom bone, antler and other animal pieces parts (that oddly enough is in my home town) http://www.hideandfur.com/. A lot of “bone” handled cutlery is actually made using elk antler. Much of what they sell seems un-PC in till it is pointed out a lot of the customers are American Indians.

Rod
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Nick Adams made a whsitle out of a whalebone found on the beach in Spanish Point. It turned out pitched around F. Paul McGrattan had it and I have a tape of him playing it. Goes perfectly well.
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Kevin wrote:

"Of course,Elephant Ivory is a no-no these days,though evidentally it made splendid Recorders and Flutes."

Not entirely true Kevin: Elephant Ivory that was purchased before "The Ban" can still be used for instrument making. Certain documentation is required to prove when the Ivory was purchased, and instruments made from this Ivory are restricted in how they may be shipped - in other words, you've got to pick it up in person.

Loren
Daniel_Bingamon

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

Some Australian company was faced with possible bans on pearls that they were harvesting so they started their own inland farm and raised the particular type of oyster.

So, maybe some enterprising company could start their own elephant farm.

Better yet, maybe they could genetically grow ivory.
Email - YouTube - Ebay - Website $28 Low-D
erikvonhalle
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Re: Whistle Smiths: Narwhal Ivory Whistle?!?!

Post by erikvonhalle »

[ Thread revival - Mod ]

I got to play a narwhal recorder. It had a brillant sound.
Eve was at the Denver chapter meeting of the ARS. read more.

http://www.grainger.de/music/rmperfs/legene.html

Erik Von Halle
Oak Ridge, Tennessee

I should have bought it when I had the chance.
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

The source linked claims that their elephant, rhino, & narwhal, etc., stock was legally imported before their respective bans took effect, but I wouldn't do business with anyone who was in the ivory trade back when it was legal, either. Companies like theirs are the reason that the bans became necessary in the first place. And if (as seems likely) they imported a large stockpile right before the deadline in order to beat the ban, they're despicable.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
R Small
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by R Small »

I had a recorder once that was made from something called ivorine--some sort of synthetic imitation ivory. It looked just like the real thing and made a very nice recorder. Would probably make a nice whistle too.
crookedtune

Re:

Post by crookedtune »

Daniel_Bingamon wrote: So, maybe some enterprising company could start their own elephant farm.
Corner the market yourself. Start a narwhal farm!
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde