2005 Florida Tionol

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Joseph E. Smith
antispam: No

2005 Florida Tionol

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Hello all,

The 2005 Florida Tionol will be held in Gainesville again for this year. The event will take place February 18th, 19th and 20th. There will be 2 piping instructors, 2 fiddle instructors, 2 flute instructors, 2 whistle instructors, guitar and bodhran instructors. We are currently assembling the instruction staff, so I will wait until they are confirmed before I disclose names. But, from what I understand to date, you will be learning from among the best!

Last years event was a great success with over 60 people attending classes, this year looks to be even better! Once scheduling, housing and professional arrangements have been finalized, I will post them for your reading pleasure.

This will be a great way to escape the northern winter climate, and bask in the warmth and 'reed friendly' weather of Central Florida, all the while learning from and listening to some of the greatest performers of ITM.

Keep your eye on this post for future details.
Joseph E. Smith

...an update.

The list of piping instructors we will be choosing 2 from is:

Brian McNamara
Benedict Koehler
Deborah Quigley
Patrick Hutchinson
Jerry O'Sullivan

Nothing is finalized as of yet, though I am certain we will soon have confirmation. I'll let you know when this happens.
maze
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

tionol plans

Post by maze »

Just to let you all know, that we are still early in the planning of the 2005 florida tionol. There are a number of folks who we are either inviting to join the teaching staff, or are confirming that they can still come. Just in case anyone is itching to know... we have three or four of the eight instructors pretty much set in stone, and once we have the entire list, we will post it on this forum and on a Florida Tionol website.

The list of possible instructors posted above is not really complete or all that important... these are just folks we have talked to over the years about possibly coming down... eventually it would be great to have everyone come at one point or another. So it is not really a matter of choosing from this pool for instructors as much as in internal discussions, these are just SOME of the names that have popped up the most frequently.

That being said, it will take place as last year at the Florida School of Massage (wonderful place), and at local pubs. It will include 1 1/2 days of instruction, a concert, sessions, a kick off party, and of course really good fun. Recall that last year we had as instructors Kieran O'Hare, Cillian Vallely, John Skelton, Albert Alfonso, Zac Leger, and the lovely Liz Knowles. This year's line up maintain this highest standard of musicianship and tuition, and may possibly include a singing instructor as well (depending on interest).

It is looking like the weekend has been revised to 4-6 February 2005 due to the availability of instructors (i.e. a bunch of them are either going on tour or traveling late in February). So hang tight, and the wonderful committee (yes folks, this year there is a committee... like a herd of cats) working hard on the tionol will post info when it is all confirmed.

Thanks Joseph for your postings!... keep up the good work!!

john
:D
Joseph E. Smith

...aye aye, skipper. :D
Joseph E. Smith

Just an update from the Florida Tionol folks. As it stands currently, we are going to be holding forth on the weekend of February 4-6. It has been brought to my attention that Brian MacNamara will be one of the two featured piping instructors, which is most excellent news.

Keep an eye on this topic for future updates.
Thank you.
maze
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

tionol

Post by maze »

Okay, the semi-final line up is like this:

Pipes:

Brian McNamara of Leitrim
Deborah Quigley of Canada (now)
Patrick Hutchinson of Rhode Island

Flute:
Paul McGrattan of Dublin

Whistle:
Kieran O'Hare of Chigago (now)

Fiddle:
Liz Knowles of Chicago (now)
Sandy Jones (now)

Guitar:
Ged Foley of Kentucky (now)

We are in the process of working out the bodhran instruction, but it will either be Albert Alfonso the Cuban-Irish connection or Paddy League, the Greek-Irish connection

Also, if we get enough early registrants for the flute, we will also have John Skelton of Kentucky (now). We would really like to have John join us as well, so if you play the flute and want a Florida vacation, get off your butts and register asap. Registration forms can be emailed to you from maze@ufl.edu.

Tionol will be 4-6 February 2005 in lovely downtown Gainesville, Florida... ravaged from the hurricanes, but still standing strong. We are within 2 hours of all sorts of Florida delicacies... so a great vacation spot for the world. Classes this year will once again be at the Florida School of Massage... a website will soon post hotel and motel options, and maps to get here.

For more information, you can contact chiff member maze@ufl.edu. Registration of $85 before 1 Jan will include instruction for two days, a kick off party, sessions, and a concert at a local pub. Registration received after 1 January will be $100.

Register!
Last edited by maze on Tue Oct 12, 2004 7:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Joseph E. Smith

Thanks John....