Glenn Schultz. Any info/reviews out there?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Bretton
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for a very long time, but never seem to get any better than I was about 10 years ago. I'm okay with that. :)

Glenn Schultz. Any info/reviews out there?

Post by Bretton »

Hi. I don't recall seeing much posted about Glenn's flutes. Does anyone have feelings one way, or the other, about them?

I would think they'd be a good value for $800 if they're as nice as his whistles.

I'll go search the archives in case I missed something...

Thanks.

-Brett
rh

Post by rh »

I have one which I bought about 10 years ago. It's my favorite flute, though it's the most demanding in terms of embouchure (my others are a Seery, two Hozas, and a couple of bamboo flutes). But it has a great sound, woody and complex. There's no slide so the HJ is unlined. Toneholes are medium-sized, smaller than the Seery. Not as loud as the Seery, but really barks when I want it to.

Not sure about his newer ones. I know they're tunable, and one can only imagine he's improved the design over time.
there is no end to the walking
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

There's a fellow in our area who plays one, with slide. It's certainly pretty decent, and breaks down into a small case.

Kevin Krell
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

You know, I was just thinking of starting a thread asking why Glenn's flutes don't get more respect. It may just be that he doesn't make many, nor market them aggressively, so people just don't know about them.

I've had one for about two years, but I've only really been playing flute for a little over a year, and the Schultz for a few months. (I bought it for my wife, who decided she didn't want an unkeyed flute, so it became mine.) First, let me say it is without a doubt the prettiest piece of wood turning I've ever seen. The cocobolo is a spectacular piece, with a fiery grain that is unfortunately darkening with age. In a dimly lighted room it looks not unlike a young piece of blackwood, but put it underneath a lamp and it becomes absolutely mesmerizing. The fittings are stainless, machined flush with the wood, and there's one little flair on the neck piece. It has a brass slide, unlined head, and a threaded plastic cork. No C-foot.

Playing-wise, I'm with RJ. It's not an easy flute to play. But when I get the embouchure right, the sound is fantastic, especially toward the bottom. The sound is not unlike the Copley (my wife can't always tell which one I'm playing), but much fuller at the bottom and not quite as clear at the top. It's very woody. It has large finger holes -- much bigger than the Copley, and some of them even as big an an Olwell Pratten, and the spread is pretty big, too. (Glenn told me that his flute design started out based on a Rudall, but "for some reason I can't remember" it rapidly diverged.) OTOH, it's very light and well-balanced, so it's easy to play for extended periods.

Another point, the third octave is much easier than any of my other flutes. For some reason, the third E seems to be a difficult note to get, and it's very easy and well in tune on this flute.

I'm really curious to see how others feel about Glenn's flutes.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
glauber
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by glauber »

Wonderful flute. Very easy in the hands, probably even more comfortable than Casey Burns. Beautifully turned. Effortless to play. It doesn't "bark" like a Hamilton, so it may not be the flute of choice for the high-testosterone crowd, but it's wonderful.

If you want more info, PM me and i shall put you in touch with a great flute player who plays one.

g
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
Bretton
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for a very long time, but never seem to get any better than I was about 10 years ago. I'm okay with that. :)

Post by Bretton »

I emailed Glenn and he said he's got a Honduran Rosewood and a Cocobolo flute on hand at the moment. I'm leaning towards the Cocobolo, unless anyone thinks the rosewood would be a better choice...

-Brett
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

I am not a fan of "regular" rosewood. I find it boring. Go with the cocobolo.
~JessieD
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Glenn's Honduran rosewood isn't "regular" rosewood. It's much paler than what I think of as rosewood -- kind of a rich beige color, and without a really pronounced grain, but some interesting markings. I didn't find it nearly as lovely as the cocobolo, but different strokes. . .
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
sturob

Post by sturob »

Cocobolo is an excellent tonewood, Brett. I have two cocobolo things, a set of highland pipe drones and a Grinter whistle. Very nice timber, and a great smell.

So, not like this is a democracy or nothin', but I vote for cocobolo. :D

Stuart