Pipe Smoking

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Stu H
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Pipe Smoking

Post by Stu H »

A recent thread on converting a whistle to a pipe interested me as I am a pipe-smoker.

Are there any others out there?
If it looks like a duck and sounds like a duck, it's probably me - playing a whistle!
Brian Lee
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: OT: Pipe Smoking

Post by Brian Lee »

Stu H wrote:A recent thread on converting a whistle to a pipe interested me as I am a pipe-smoker.

He he he...

Used to be. Worked at the local Tinder Box for a year selling them too - Ascotri's, Savanelli's, Dunhill's...you name it. Sadly, most of my better bowls were stolen a few years back by some punk kids who probably thought they were bongs and have used them now as such. Idiots.
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

I smoked a pipe for years, but quit back in '83 because I wanted to improve my breathing and, more importantly, my racquetball game.

I got over the tobacco.nicotine craving quite easily, but I never completely got over a nostalgic longing for the pipe ritual. Especially during long or tense meetings, the fill-tamp-light-retamp-relight cycle was both soothing and a nice way of proscrastinating while I came up with an appropriate answer. Even after smoking on the job became taboo, I still found myself occasionally feeling nostalgic about the pipe "ceremony".
Its Winter - Gotta learn to play the blues
irishduffy

Post by irishduffy »

A little OT, but reminds me of a uncle who quit for breathing, but still has to have the pipe in his mouth even though he does not smoke.
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

Um...you're not supposed to inhale the pipe smoke though :D I can immagine it would be difficult to quit otherwise - what with no filters and all!
lathem

Post by lathem »

Stu H wrote:A recent thread on converting a whistle to a pipe interested me as I am a pipe-smoker.

Yes, indeed:

http://lathem.home.mindspring.com/pipes/

...I really need to update that page...

--
Mark
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

I used to smoke a pipe, believe it or not. It doesn't seem to have ever caught on much here in the U.S. among women, but I had several little pipes I was very fond of.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
littlejohngael
Tell us something.: I've been with Chiff and Fipple since shortly after I bought my first low D. I've learned loads from this community, and I intend to continue to learn and contribute. Many thanks to Dale and everyone who makes this site happen.

Post by littlejohngael »

lathem wrote:Yes, indeed:

http://lathem.home.mindspring.com/pipes/

...I really need to update that page...

--
Mark
Dude! That's you?!?! Cool! I've been on that page! Wait ... I have it bookmarked! What are the odds I'd run into you on C&F ... way cool.

I've got a clay church warden, as does my friend, and we light them up from time to time. He's somewhat moody and keeps to himself, but I've found that pipe smoking helps ease him into a talkative mood. He's in Iraq right now. One of the first things we'll do when he gets home is "have a pipe full. ..."

Best to you,

Little John
CHIFF FIPPLE

Post by CHIFF FIPPLE »

Hey yous guys give it up pipes an whistles don't mix :o
ImageStacey has the most bodacious fipples! & Message board
http://whistlenstrings.invisionzone.com ... t=0&p=3303&
Random notes

Post by Random notes »

Hey yous guys give it up pipes an whistles don't mix
I have made no postings to this august Forum bercause I am very much a novice whistler - 3 weeks ago I would not have known a fipple from a truffle - and it was obviously in everyone's interest that I sit back, shut up and learn.

However, when it comes to pipes I can blow smoke as well as anyone. I have a collection (accumulation?) of about 60+ pipes, the largest single contingent from the Dublin maker Peterson (including several pre-Republics in regular rotation). Being of scientific bent, I took the above statement as a direct challenge and decided to perform a controlled experiment.

The experiment involved simultaneously smoking a pipe and whistling a tune. The pipe is a Peterson smooth tankard chosen for its light weight and narrow stem. The whistle is a Jerrytone. The tune is "Oak Horn Pipe", which, coincidentally, is the only tune I have learned to play recognizably.

The results were mixed. Visually, the experiment was pleasantly reminiscent of a steam calliope. Musically, the results were inconclusive. The whistling sounded like crap, but I could not distinguish a deleterious effect due to the smoke from my playing which normally sounds like crap. Tonguing presented a particular difficulty. Specifically, coordinating the sucking and blowing actions with the valve action of the tongue is difficult to master and resulted in occasionally sucking through the whistle and blowing through the pipe. Unfortunately, blowing through a lit pipe creates a spray of hot ash which can be problematic. I would suggest that anyone trying to replicate this experiment keep a fire extinguisher handy so as to avoid having to run into the kitchen to fetch it.

That's my tuppence, and worth at least half that.

Roger
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

I saw a quote some time ago that said something like:

"Never buy one of the those cheap tin whistles... they can only lead to harder drugs like flute and pipes."

Too true! :party: