Old-timey music that sounds good on whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
squidgirl
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Old-timey music that sounds good on whistle

Post by squidgirl »

I've decided that I really like how old-timey tunes sound on my whistle, so want to learn more of them (plus they're mostly easy enough for me to play, which is always rewarding). Unfortunately I'm musically illiterate in this genre -- my CD collection is mostly world music, and somehow I missed out on learning this stuff in grade school or summer camp (or wherever you're s'pozed to...).

I extracted the two-volume Cecil Sharple Appalachian music collection from our local library, and to see which ones I like I've been alternately picking out tunes on my Casiotone (slow, I'm a sucky pianist) or entering them into Barfly and making it play them for me (faster, believe it or not -- I'm much nimbler on the computer's keyboard than the piano's -- plus it will also transpose 'em into whistle-able keys).

But I noticed in perusing the archives that there are some old-time music folks on the board, so I thought I should ask what tunes sound good on the whistle. Or maybe tell me where to find the basic repertoire of old-time tunes that would make me more literate in this genre, or tell me what CDs to get from the library... or whatever you might think would help a newbie figure out which tunes she wants to learn...

Noel
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

:lol: :lol: ,

"Gime that old time religion.."

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
carrie

Post by carrie »

Cluck Old Hen and Old Joe Clark work very well on whistle. Send me a PM if you'd like a link to hear those. They're loads of fun and very easy.

Carol
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

:-?
Carol,
It's been kiling me for a while now.
Amelia or Amy?

My memory is not what it was.

Slan,
D.

W.B.Yeats
carrie

Post by carrie »

As for CDs, there are some wonderful field recordings. I'm especially fond of the Frank Proffitt collection (Nothing Seems Better to Me, Appleseed). Great little tunes. Dwight Diller is a good'un too, and I like the Carawan family. I also really like American Folk Songs for Children (Peggy and Mike Seeger)--really wonderful versions of some songs, and not just for kids. (His Old Joe Clark is wonderful on a fretless banjo.)

Carol
carrie

Post by carrie »

dubhlinn wrote::-?
Carol,
It's been kiling me for a while now.
Amelia or Amy?

My memory is not what it was.

Slan,
D.
Hehehe. Neither. It's Beryl Markham.
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

:-?

A Googling I will go.

Slan,
D.

W.B.Yeats
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

Mmmmmm...,
Joni Mitchell will never be the same again.....

"Dreams ...and false alarms...",

Nice...

Slan,
D.

W.B.Yeats
Bretton
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for a very long time, but never seem to get any better than I was about 10 years ago. I'm okay with that. :)

Post by Bretton »

Here's my version of Cripple Creek on whistle. Maybe not a great example...

http://www.bloomington.in.us/~jodi/bret ... _creek.mp3

Ooops...just realized that was strumstick, not whistle... Here's whistle:

http://www.bloomington.in.us/~jodi/brett_cc.mp3

-Brett
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Don't know what the 'official' categorization of these would be, off the top of my head, but we've played them in old-tyme string bands, and they sound great on the whistle:

Little Beggarman (AKA Red-Haired Boy), The Boys of Blue Hill, Dixie, Off She Goes, Off to California, Midnight on the Water, Sally Gardens...

I would like to work out Cluck Ol' Hen, and a bunch of others... the whistle sounds good for lots more than just ITRAD.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
EricWingler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by EricWingler »

Red Wing, Shenandoah, Red River Valley, She'll Be Comin' Around the Mountain, and Over the Waterfall are just a few. Actually, there are a lot of old tunes that sound great on a whistle, especially when a few ornaments are thrown in.
Eric Wingler
A Whistling Mathematician
toughknot

Post by toughknot »

Two old timey American songs that I really Like to play that sound good on the whistle; Will the Circle Be Unbroken and It Takes A Worried Man. They sound good either fast or slow. I'm sure these would be easy to find midi's and sheet music for on the net as they are old standards. I learned them in music class in grade school ( was made to sing them ).Back then the auto harp as opposed to the recorder was the school districts implement of totur .... oh sorry " ideal instrument for vocal accompniament and expanding our musical souls ".This wasnt the south either it was in Wisconsin ,Michigan and Illinois. I do enjoy the tunes they taught us when played on the whistle though.
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

My grandmother's favorite song was "Wildwood Flower"; it sounds nice on the whistle, and is fairly easy to play.

Also, the Digital Tradition (http://www.mudcat.org) is a good source for lyrics, and they often have midi files of the tunes.

Cheers,
John
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
spittin_in_the_wind

Post by spittin_in_the_wind »

There's a dulcimer book by Stephen Siefert called "Join the Jam" with all the tunes written out plus dulcimer tab and chords. Just about anything in there can be played on a whistle, only a couple go below the staff. Most of the tunes people have mentioned so far are in it.

http://www.stephenseifert.com/join_the_jam.html

Have fun!

Robin
lathem

Post by lathem »

"Oldtime" is really a fairly broad category that overlaps with a number of other genres, so "a basic repertoire" would be tough to come up with. Nevertheless, you can hear over 700 tunes and songs lifted from old 78s here:

http://www.honkingduck.com/

Just click on the "78s" link and browse and listen to your heart's content.

A great streaming audio site is John Salmon's "Sugar in the Gourd":

http://www.sugarinthegourd.com/

I also recommend you check out the following site:

http://zeppmusic.com/MP3/

Donald Zepp is fantastic guy and one helluva banjo player. These brief mp3 cuts--which were made for students or customers--are fairly common oldtime tunes. Actually, I should say *most* of them are common; a few of them are unique arrangements, and some aren't oldtime at all. They are, however, all good.

Finally, if you're looking for a CD "The Fuzzy Mountain String Band" on the Rounder label is as good a place to start as any.

I should caution you that you've stepped onto a slippery slope. If you find yourself playing clawhammer banjo in a year or two, don't say you weren't warned about the hazards of oldtime...

Best of luck,
--
Mark